nine.

I pulled at my plain white shirt, deciding it looked better not tucked into my black jeans. These were different than yesterday's jeans, holes ripped at my knees. As I brushed through my naturally straight hair, Emmie burst into my room, squealing with excitement.
"I'm guessing someone is happy," I giggle as I brush the last section of my hair.
"Bang on. I can't believe I'm going to meet these guys Gigi," Emmie twirls, her soft pink waves bouncing slightly. I smile to myself, she always radiates happiness.
"Guys I need help over here," Liz calls out annoyed. Emmie and I snicker as we jog down the hallway and into the kitchen, laughing when our socks slip on the wood floor. Her own happiness rubbed off on to me and I loved that, even if it was temporarily. I grab the bowl of spaghetti from Liz as Emmie grabs the basket of breadsticks from the counter. As we're setting the food down onto the dinning room table, there's a knock at the door. Emmie bounces up and down, her baggy Nirvana shirt bouncing along with her as she's trying to hold back a squeal, Liz straightens out her black dress then her soft curls in her hair, and my heart starts to beat rapidly.
They both give me a reassuring smile as I go to open the door, my smile slightly depleting as I open the door.
"Hey Gia," Adam softly waves. I smile back then look over to Ross who hands me an arrangement of a few red roses.
"They're from George. Him and Matty couldn't make it tonight." He gives me a sympathetic smile, and my stomach drops as I take the roses into my hands.
"Come on in," I plaster a fake smile, stepping aside, letting the two walk in. I was disappointed but I didn't want to show it. I didn't want to seem like the dumb girl who's already falling for someone who doesn't even want her back, so I don't prod them about George.
"Adam, Ross, these are my friends Emmie and you probably remember Liz."
Emmie gives a toothy smile, running up to hug Adam.
He stumbles slightly before hugging her back.
"She's a fan, if you couldn't tell," Liz laughs as she goes over to Ross to give him a small hug.
Liz motions them to the table after Emmie engulfs Ross into a hug, everyone taking a seat, me setting the roses in the empty chair beside me.
As I poked at my bowl of meatless spaghetti Liz made just for me I wondered what George was doing that was so important.
Emmie and Liz had been keeping conversation with the guys, which helped me out. I was sat next to Adam, Ross and Liz across from us and Emmie at the end of the table being close to both Ross and Adam, which I thought she would like.
"You have horses back at home, right Gia?"
Emmie pulled me out of my thoughts.
"Huh? Oh, yeah." I nervously smile. I wasn't sure what exactly what they were talking about aside from what I caught earlier that had to do with a petting zoo Emmie visited.
"Where are you from again?" Ross asks before taking a bite of his breadstick.
"Texas. My dad has his own ranch over there." This seems to intrigue Adam and Ross.
"We're still planning to go visit, right Gigi?" Emmie grins as she twirls spaghetti around her fork. I nod and smile, "We have a few sheep too, and a pig."
"And a llama," Liz remarks, smirking. I roll my eyes, recalling the confession I made to her awhile back. Let's just say the llama likes me a little too much.
"We should go too, Adam. I know you love pigs," Ross chuckles, Adam sighs.
"They're scary," Adam mumbles.
We all laugh at his remark.
"This is really good. It's like food for the heart. My heart was hungry for you- for your food, wait what?" Ross laughs nervously as he looks quickly down at his bowl, "I mean, this is really good."
Liz raises an eyebrow and laughs while Adam shakes his head. I laugh quietly as Emmie giggles. 
I ignore the new conversation as Emmie tries to cover the awkward tension by talking about her experience at a amusement park, pouring myself another glass of wine.
"Can I have some too?" Adam murmurs to me. I nod and pour some in his glass.
"So when are you going to teach me your magical guitar skills?" I smile, setting the bottle of wine down.
"Whenever you want," Adam grins before taking a sip of wine.
I do the same, thinking of something to keep the conversation going.
"So what do you play? I mean, what's your favorite song to play...one of your own songs." I'm such an idiot.
He looks down at his sweater paws, nervously fixing them.
"Maybe You or Sex," He looks over to me, placing his hands in his lap.
"I like the names. They're simple." If it was Matty telling me these song names I would probably think he was just being an asshole.
We turn our attention to Emmie for a second as she laughs loudly at something Ross and Liz do, then face each other again.
"I would like to learn how to play them." Before he can answer, Ross interrupts.
"Hey Adam, we can get people backstage on Saturday, right?"
Adam thinks for a moment then nods.
"Well you're all coming to watch us perform," Ross grins while Emmie smiles madly, Liz and I exchanging glances for a quick second.
"Sounds good," Liz pipes up, playfully punching Ross' arm.

"Don't forget, Saturday," Ross smirks at Liz before he walks down the hallway. She closes the door, grinning.
"You two would be so cute," Emmie gushes as she slides on her grey pea coat.
Liz rolls her eyes, "You know how I feel about stuff like that."
"Then maybe a messing around type thing," Emmie teases.
"Bye Emmie," Liz chirps sarcastically, swinging the door open.
Emmie laughs as she walks out into the hall, slightly skipping to the elevator. Liz closes the door, never breaking my gaze.
"Why?" I groan.
"Let's go get a drink and talk, okay?"
Liz quickly runs to her room,
"You and Ross would make a cute couple though," I call out, but she doesn't respond, probably mumbling curses meant for me.
She finally comes back in dark jeans and a black crop top. We grab our bags and coats then run out to catch a cab.
We sat at the bar and ordered a shot. I rolled my eyes as Liz flirted with the bartender. I looked around, feeling uneasy, then I saw them. I wanted to puke.
"Liz," I mumble, as I turn my back to them. They were quite far so George didn't recognize me in the distance between other people sitting at the bar and where I sat.
"What?" She asked mid laugh, her smile fading once she looks past me.
"I'm going to kick his ass and that blonde bitches too," Liz began to stand up but I grabbed her arm and pulled her down.
"Can we get two more rounds of those shots?" I ask the confused bartender that stood in front of us. He nods then grabs a couple more shot glasses, pouring the clear liquid from the bottle he already had on his hand. In the corner of my eye, I see the other bartender hand them their drinks. There's six sets of shots sat in front of us and I quickly down two.
"Gigi, calm down," Liz laughs after taking one.
I shake my head, taking the last shot in front of me. I shiver but Liz laughs, "I've taught you well."
I briefly look behind me to see George grabbing the girl from behind as he guides her hands that held a dart. The same girl from earlier. Their backs are towards me and I really want to throw a bottle in their direction. She was so perfect, and he played with my emotions. Maybe I was just stupid enough to think he actually liked me. With just my luck, he turns around just after I turned to glance at him, his smile dropping as soon as we make eye contact.
•••
[Sorry if this is kinda sucky. I've been traveling a lot and I wrote this mostly on the road, which was somehow harder for me to concentrate on this idk. I'm actually from Texas though and I've never been to a ranch lmao ok ily bye xx]