twelve.

I roll over in my bed, squinting my eyes as the sun streams through my curtains. My head slightly pounds as I sit up, reminding me of last nights drinking game with Liz. Checking the time on my phone ignoring the voicemails and missed calls, I wonder why Liz wasn't in the kitchen banging pans around like she usually was at noon. I fall back into bed and stare at my ceiling, only the heater running to be heard. It's been six days since I last saw George, almost a week. He calls but I don't bother to answer or listen to his voicemails, and his text messages get deleted instantly. I didn't want to be another oblivious girl in his game he was playing. Apparently Gia was not capable of having a normal relationship with a guy. Jake was my second boyfriend, my first was in high school back in Texas. Brandon was his name. Brandon was a quiet transfer student but every girl had a crush on him. He was so sweet, he liked underground indie bands and cars. He cheated on me with some girl who liked the same bands as him, finding her more interesting than quiet little Gia. She had short black hair, and she was very tall. The look she had and the way she dressed proved her much more mysterious, the cigarettes snuck after lunch behind the gym proved her much more rebellious. I'm just not interesting enough. Now Jake, he treated me like I was perfect, but in reality he didn't care what I thought or what my favorite color was or how I think eating meat is gross, he just wanted me to be his trophy girlfriend.
My attention turns to my phone, an unknown number flashing on the screen, me considering whether to answer or not. I reluctantly answer, an automated machine on the other line warning me this conversation is being recorded. I quickly sit up at the sound of shuffling on the other line then finally a raspy voice breaks the silence.
"Giovanna, I'm so happy you picked up."
My stomach turns, and I try to hold back the burning in my throat rising.
"Jake?"
"Yeah. God, I've missed your voice. I'm so sorry this all happened. I still love you."
I can't bring myself to open my mouth. Too many thoughts flooded my mind and my mouth can't process what to say first.
"Baby, I know you're upset, but I might be getting out soon. My brother is helping pay my bail, and we can start over. I promise it'll be different."
Tears threaten to fall as I think about him being in my life again. Countless times I've heard him ramble on about how things will change, be different, but nothing ever did except for how many bruises he left.
"Gia, answer me please."
Before a whimper escapes from me I quickly hang up and throw my phone at the wall forcefully. It was all too much. Hearing Jakes voice again, telling me he's going to be out soon. The fear of him finding me again. George toying with my emotions. I just wanted something stable in my life. I gather myself for a second, wiping my tears, then pushing myself up to see the damage to my phone. I laugh to myself humorlessly seeing the screen completely shattered, chunks of it missing.
After messing with it for awhile and deciding it's still useable, I open my door and look for Liz in her room. She's no where to be found until I come across a note she left on the kitchen counter.
"Last minute lunch date with my dad. I left you a salad in the fridge love you gi xx"
Smiling to myself, I check the fridge, a white bowl of salad calling my name. I grab a fork and dressing, making my way to the living room couch. I turn the channel to MTV, the show that was on immediately jumping to a woman holding a microphone with the MTV logo on it. She smiles as she introduces herself. I take a bite of tomato from my salad then reach for the remote until the words, "The 1975 are here with us today." leave her mouth.
I turn up the volume quickly then freeze once the camera pans into view of all four guys grinning. The hostess stands in between Matty and George, Ross and Adam on the outside of each of them.
"So tell me about your new EP coming out."
Matty speaks first, rambling how it ties all the other EP's together, and how it's going to lead into their new full length album. Ross makes a joke about how Matty is so insightful, making the others laugh. Adam speaks up, revealing the name IV for their EP.
"And you're debuting this EP live tonight right?"
The guys nod, George speaking up now, "Tonight at The Ruby Lounge." He grins then waves along with the other guys as the camera pans out, the host repeating the time. I switch off the tv as their voices fade, only music to be heard, the host obviously flirting with all of them. My appetite disappears when I remember Ross invited us to that show. Liz and Emmie would never let me back out, and if I did, they would too, but I didn't want to take this away from them.
My phone vibrates and I carefully pull it out of my sweats pocket. I swipe to answer but a piece of glass cuts my thumb. Shit.
"Sorry Gigi, did I wake you?"
"Oh, no Ems. I'm fine." I place my thumb in my mouth after taking the shard out, the taste of blood grossing me out.
"Okay so please tell me you were watching the guys on the telly just now!"
"Um, yeah."
"Please tell me we are going!"
I test out to see if my assumption is right,
"All this George stuff, I dunno."
"Oh yeah," she sounds less enthusiastic, "We don't have to go Gigi."
I sigh, "I'm only going for the sake of you and Liz."