seventeen.

I've never pictured myself without Liz by my side ever since we've met. It's funny how drastic things can change within a short amount of time. My morning begins by waking up to the smell of the sweet scent of something cooking, feeling a little disappointed knowing it wasn't her, and I wasn't home. The fact that it's George's flat and his cooking, makes me feel a little better. The way my face presses to his warm bare back as I hug him from behind while he stands over the stovetop, chuckling at my gesture, leaves me second guessing where I'd like to consider home.
"Good morning, babe."
Before I can open my mouth, a voice chimes in for me.
"Good morning, G."
Our heads snap to the kitchen doorway where a smiling Matty lazily combs through his hair with his fingers. I'd almost forgotten he got too stoned to keep his eyes open, crashing on the couch last night after while we all watched a movie together.
"Wasn't talking to you, idiot."
"You've replaced me already?" Matty pouts, sitting at the island now. I giggle while George sighs, Matty laughing at the reaction he's got from him. He doesn't waste any time to interrogate me after I sit down a stool away.
"So you're going to be around a lot now, yeah?"
I look over to George then back to Matty, unsure how to answer the question.
"Uh, maybe?"
"Maybe?" George looks back, furrowing his eyebrows.
"Well, yes." I laugh nervously, feeling totally stupid, "I mean, if George wants me to."
"How is that even an option, you know I do, Gia." He chuckles while Matty rolls his eyes, which is beginning to become the norm every time George says something sweet to me.
"Whateva, anyway, where are you from? Adam said like a farm or something."
"I mean, sorta. I'm from Texas."
"Hm. How old are you?"
"Uh, twenty."
"That sounded unpromising, but you're only two years apart from, G. What do you do for a living?"
"Okay Matthew, shut up."
George reprimands while setting a plate of pancakes in front of us. A sudden feeling of nervousness consumes me. What if I'm not good enough? I came here to go to school, but the whole Jake thing happened, and I was never really myself after. Liz assured me that she'd take care of me with her dads money, which is now making me realize, what am I doing? My boyfriend, which is something I'm not used to saying, is in a popular band, and just before me he was messing around with some model and I'm here like a fucking-
"Gia, you okay?"
My eyes trail back to George who's now sitting next to me. I stab at one of my pancakes and nod, still feeling useless. I feel bad George tries to include me in his conversations with Matty, and I don't even try to join in. My thoughts were consuming me.
"I'm full, but it was really good, G."
I push my plate of half eaten pancakes towards him as he's now standing on the opposite side of the island.
"You only ate one pancake?"
"One and a half, technically."
His worried face turns happy again as he laughs at what I've said.
"Okay, I'll let you off the hook," he grins before leaning over to kiss me then taking my plate as Matty returns from the living room.
"Gia, I'm sorry to tell you this, but we have practice in a few and there's no girls allowed."
"Since when was that a rule?" George scoffs from over at the sink.
"Since I made it one. Now hurry up, we've got shit to do."
George groans as Matty exits again, drying his hands on his sweats then rushes over to give me a quick passionate kiss. By the times he's pulled away, the only thing that's on my mind is the way his kisses feel, and how I want more.
"I don't want you to go." I pout as he kisses my forehead.
"I know, Gigi. I'll call when I'm on my way back, okay? Now I have to go get dressed."
As he turns to walk away, I pull on his arm, making him chuckle.
"Babe, stay!" We both laugh as my attempts of holding him back are failing, him practically dragging me behind through the living room.
"Staaaay! Stay!" I'm laughing like a little kid all over again, whining for him to stay. I haven't laughed this much in awhile.
George finally stops a few feet before his bedroom door, quickly turning around to pick me up, spinning me while he plants a few kisses all over my face.
"You're a riot," he mumbles to me, softly laughing as he gently places me onto the couch. Matty is glaring at us, waiting beside the front door. He stops as if he has remembered something, quickly grabbing a wrinkled napkin from his coat pocket, and a pen from the little end table beside the door way, jotting something down.
It's not long before I'm alone in George's flat, unsure of what to do with myself. My thoughts eat their way into my head again, and to try to ignore them, finding myself wandering the small strip of shops not too far from the flat. The oversized coat that hangs off of me smells of George, which is comforting. It smelled of cigarettes and cologne and laundry detergent. The sleeves of his coat cover my freezing face, taking in the scent at the same time. There's a small coffee shop that interests me, and after I order my drink, I sit in the corner watching the people from outside come and go, thinking of what to do with myself.
"You doing okay?"
My eyes meet the hazel ones that are staring down at me, a small smirk formed on his face. His long dark curly hair is pulled up into a messy bun, and he's dressed in a white shirt and black pants behind his apron, paired with classic vans. The familiar face takes me by surprise, but I finally manage to stammer out an answer.
"Yeah, thanks, uh, Brandon."
"It's nice to see you again, Gia."
I laugh nervously as I try to process if this is actually happening or not.
"It's weird seeing you here, but I thought I recognized you. You're still the same quiet Gia."
Yeah. I'm still me. Quiet. Which basically translates to boring. I try to keep my cool as the visual of him making out with the tall, short haired girl behind my old high school gym replays in my head. It's old news.
My phone vibrates, interrupting our short stare down.
"One sec. Hey, G."
Brandon excuses himself from the table to help a customer while George tells me he's just gotten home and he's worried. I assure him I'm fine and I'll be back soon. After the phone clicks I grab my cup of coffee and walk over to the counter as the customer Brandon was talking to walks away.
"I've got to run, but it was nice seeing you."
I honestly hope he doesn't see through my lie, as he nods, smiling back.
"We're hiring by the way, just in case you're looking for an excuse to come back."
My eyes move down to the coffee cup in my hand. Not too long ago, I was wondering what to do with myself, and maybe this could be something.
"I'll drop by tomorrow."