twenty five.

The last thing I was worried about was the pounding in my head and more concerned about what the hell happened last night, and how I would explain where I've been to Gia. All I remembered was going into a nearby pub with Olivia, taking shot after shot, then bam, I'm at Matty's who I'm not too happy with still. I managed to sneak out and take a cab back to Olivia's place to get my car, and once I get there I realize my keys are missing.
"It's like seven in the morning, what the hell," Olivia groans, peaking out from behind the door of her flat.
"No, it's like noon, and I need my keys, and an explanation."
Olivia rolls her eyes dramatically before letting me in, and I immediately know she's hungover. Not only from her curly hair messily tied up and her shorts and long band tee, but from how much crankier she gets.
"Did someone black out?" She coos, grabbing my set of keys off her dining room table.
"Just tell me what happened," I groan.
"We got drunk, made out a little, and I puked so I came home."
"Made out?"
"Your little girlfriend going to get mad?" She raises an eyebrow, tossing my keys over.
"Fuck sake," I groan, rubbing my temples.
"Gia, right?"
I don't recall ever telling her a name, so I stare at her blankly.
"She works at Java, yeah?"
"You're on some next level shit," I furrow my eyebrows.
"Look I'm not trying to murder her, I go there all the time. Her coworker, ex, friend, whatever, got me to spill about last night then he tells me you're seeing her," she sighs.
"Ex?"
"That's not the point, George. You kept telling me you loved me last night. You said she didn't matter. I want to try again with you."
My hands are nervously pushing my hair back, and my brain is pounding too loud for me to process anything at this point.
"I mean she doesn't seem like your type. She's too..." she thinks for the right words but I know what she's trying to get at either way.
"I'm the best you've ever had, right?"
I turn to head for the door without a word but she pulls me back by my shirt.
"I know I fucked up, but please George, I lov-"
"You're so conceited, and I know I said I loved you, but what does it matter if I lie to you?"
I untangle myself from her grasp, then angrily slam the door behind me once I'm out. Why did I ever agree to seeing her again?
The whole ride home I drive without the radio on, not only to focus on the road that was now starting to become dangerous from the snow now falling, but to talk myself out of this guilty state. Technically, I don't remember what happened so how do I know for sure? Olivia could of made it up to spite me. This calms my nerves and I decide on telling Gia I just got caught up with one of the guys last night. When I arrive home, there's clatter coming from the kitchen, and the aroma of something sweet fills the flat.
"Hey-"
"Oh my god!" She jumps, dropping a pan she was holding.
"I'm sorry," I can't help but laugh.
"G, where have you been?" She sighs of relief, picking up the pan, "I was worried."
The pang of guilt kicks in again, and I swallow before answering,
"I got caught up with the guys, it's my fault."
Her eyes scan me before rinsing off the pan she just dropped then drying it to pour whatever she had mixed in a big bowl. I knew she was upset, I could tell by her body language, so I go over to wrap my arms from behind resting my head on hers.
"What are you making?"
"A cake," she replies flatly, focusing on evenly pouring the batter into the baking pan.
"Is there a special occasion?" I tighten my grip around her waist then move my chin to rest on her shoulder. Sure I was trying to change her mood around, but in all honesty it made me feel even more guilty, because this felt more natural and reassuring than anything. Yet, I said I had no feelings towards her, which I wasn't sure was true.
"I'm just hungry."
"So you decided to make yourself a whole cake?" I chuckle.
"I was going to share," she replies quietly, "But you weren't here."
"Well I'm here now," I kiss her neck a few times softly.
"George," she sighs, and I'm not sure if she wants me to keep going or stop.
"Yeah?"
"Who were you really with?"
My stomach drops, and I pull away from her. I don't know who could've told her.
"At work today Brandon said someone told him something, but he couldn't say. He just said to watch out for you, and I don't want to believe you'd do anything, bad, I guess..." she trails off.
At this point I want to get angry at her for not telling me this Brandon guy was her ex, but that wouldn't help anything.
"I don't see why he would say that, Gia. Maybe he's jealous or something," I shrug, feeling like total shit at this point.
"Well, I never told you this, but he is my ex," she turns to me, nervously biting her nail. I pretend to act surprised, but I'm still angry about it, and relieved she didn't realize I dodged her question.
"But, that was high school and he cheated on me anyway, so I don't see why he'd be jealous," she shrugs. Now I feel like total shit, because he was another person that hurt her that she kept around, and here I was tricking her into thinking I'm someone that's he could keep around because I wouldn't hurt her anymore.
"Maybe he realized what he gave up," my voice comes out a little quieter than intended, but I still pull her face close to mine, brushing my lips against hers.
"Let's have a date night," I put on a smile for her that she reciprocates after I pull away.
"It's snowing though, G," she giggles.
"Then you go pick some movies and decide what else sounds good, besides a cake," I chuckle softly. She nods before planting a kiss on me once more then placing her cake into the oven and setting the timer.
"Be prepared for some chick flicks," she calls as she's heading for the living room.
I run a hand over my face, unsure what to do at this point. I was consumed with guilt and I wasn't even sure exactly what I did. I decide to jump in the shower real quick, and after I announce so to Gia, I'm peeling my clothes off while the waters running, stopping midway as my phone vibrates;
Olivia: when she finds out, I'll still be here.