Chapter 1

Leidi

I remain in my curled position until morning, when Thor comes to retrieve me for breakfast. I'm not all that hungry, if I'm to be honest. And I do not wish for Thor to see me this way.

I sewed my lips together in a moment of grief and anger. My face was still soaked with tears. And I'm comfortable this way once I got over the horns digging in my shoulders. I curled tighter around the helmet and buried my face into the top of it.

"Leidi? Come out," Thor says knocking, "You've to eat something." I try to answer but I can't. Fresh tears spill down my face. Thor opens the door, worry clear on his face.

"Leidi, I, oh dear," he stops in his speech, "Leidi, what have you done?" He looks to me for an answer before realizing I can't. He sits on the edge of the bed and I sit up. He lifts up my chin, "I know you miss him. We all do. But you didn't have to do this."

I look at his tensed face. He looks angry, sad, and sorry. Tears spills down his face and he gets up abruptly. He left and shut the door. I angered him.

I lie back down and cry silently. I curl back around the helm. I pull his cape around my small figure. Thor returns pretty quickly.

"Hold still," he says as I sit up. He rests one hand under my chin, lifting me to face him. In his other hand is a pair of scissors. It's as if I'm in Loki's position and Thor's in mine.

Tears stream down my face as Thor carefully removes the string from my mouth, fresh blood spilling from it. I wince each time the string passes under the skin of my lips. Thor mutters an apology each time.

"Leidi, you remind me of him even more now," he says when he finishes. "How?" I say looking up. "You make rash decisions just as he does," he smiles halfheartedly. I throw myself into his arms, probably staining his attire with blood, but I don't care.

Thor stiffens in surprise but returns the gesture. "Thor?" I sniff. "Hm?" "May I address you as brother?" He is silent. "Please?" I say. He still says nothing. His silence is as if he's saying no.

I pull away slowly to see tears violently streaming down his face. "I'll get dressed," I mutter. "You may," he says. "Sorry?" I say. I didn't ask if I could get dressed. "You may call me brother, if I can call you sister," he looks up at me.

"Of course you can, brother," I say. "Thank you, sister," he says quietly. He's never been quiet before. I don't like it. I want the loud Thor. The one who could pierce my eardrums with his whisper.

As I approach my room, I realize I am wearing his cape and his helm. I knew I was wearing the cape, but I must've put the helm on without realizing it. Thor was right. I do resemble Loki.

The queen ran up behind me and placed her hand on my shoulder, "Loki!" She pulled me into an embrace before I could say anything. "Apologies my queen, I am not Loki," I say muffled by her shoulder.

She pulls back and frowns, seeing my face, "Leidi?" I realize how I must look to her. Tears cover my face. Blood seeps from my lips. My tousled hair is hidden under Loki's helm and his long cape drags on the ground behind me.

I'm surprised she didn't notice my height. I'm shorter than her, while Loki is taller than she. "I am sorry. I got blood on your attire," I say looking at the floor. She looks at her dress and sees the bloodstain on the shoulder.

"How did this happen?" She says reaching for my lip. I flinch at her touch. "I made a rash decision," I admit. "What did you do?" She asks. "I had sewn them last night after returning from his funeral," I say, tears welling in my eyes again.

"Then you removed the string?" She continued. I shake my head, "Thor did." She nods. "I'm sorry," I say. "For what, dear?" "I couldn't save him." "It's not your fault. He had you trapped. And you killed him." I shudder at the memory. In the heat of the moment, I plunged my small hand into his throat, my hand ripping through tissue. I caressed his spine and felt his mind.

Veins came apart in my hand. Blood covered my hand and wrist. I had taken a life with my bare hands. Well, hand. "Go get ready for breakfast," she says, putting her hand on my shoulder.

I go in and shower quickly. I slip into a black gown, that matches Loki's raven black hair and compliments my dead black hair. I put on Loki's cape over it. There is no design on the gown. The skirt is not full, nor is it pressed against my thighs.

It has full sleeves and a high neck. It hugs my waist and shoulders. I look like a widow, although I was never married to Loki. But I feel as if I am. I look at my reflection and see Loki staring back at me. I cringe. Thor was right. I do look like him.

But my reflection isn't dressed as I am. It's wearing Loki's battle armor. It's wearing the helmet that was set down on my bed. I walk forward and press my hand against the mirror, the figure doing the same. I lean forward and press my forehead, Loki's image mirroring my actions.

Tears slip down my face and Loki's. Thor knocks my door, "Leidi? You'll be late for breakfast." I look at the door briefly then back at the mirror, seeing my own reflection. I wipe the tears from my eyes and open the door. He offers his arm to me, "Come, sister."

I take his arm, "thank you, brother." He lead me into the dining hall where all eyes turned to me. Their eyes lit up and immediately dimmed. They must've thought I was Loki. I take my usual seat next to Volstagg and Thor.

Volstagg put his hand on my shoulder, and whispered to me, "I thought you were Loki, for a brief moment of time." "I think everyone did. I thought I was Loki too," I half joke. Volstagg chuckles solemnly. I keep thinking about the mirror. Was it my imagination?

I push my food around my plate. Breakfast is silent. Usually tales are passed around. Roars of laughter are heard. Today, there's nothing. It makes me feel uneasy. I feel a cold rush behind me and I turn. There's nothing.

Everyone hardly eats. Even Volstagg. He eats a lot less. I feel eyes on me and I look up and meet many gazes of sympathy. Then I realize that there are tears streaming down my face. I wasn't sobbing, but tears were flowing freely.

I wipe them away furiously and blink back the rest. I feel out of place. Everyone is staring at me. "Did I do something?" I say, breaking the stony silence. "Why are you dressed as a widow?" The All-Father demands. "A black dress doesn't necessarily mean I am a widow," I state. "That's a widow's dress. Where did you get it?" He says. "It was hanging in my closet," I reply. "You slept in Loki's room last night, right?" I nod slowly, not sure where this is going.

"What kind of cruel, sick joke is this?" The All-Father stands abruptly. His eyes dart around, looking at everyone with anger. "Who put the dress in her wardrobe?" He growls. I look confused. "I didn't know it was a widow's dress. I'm sorry if wearing it offended anyone," I say. "It's fine, child," the All-Father says before turning to look at everyone else, "now who's prank is this? Who gave a poor young girl a widow's dress? Tell me now!" Everyone looks at each other.

"Come here, Leidi," he says, beckoning to me. He leans and whispers for me to go change. I nod and leave. I close the door to my room. Widow? Are they questioning my relationship with Loki?

We were courting when he... passed. I open my closet and see that it's now filled with dresses similar to the one I'm wearing. I back away and scream. It's scaring me. There were other dresses here. Now it's all widow attire.