Chapter 17

Leidi

It was blinding, the pain. It hurt as Thor lifted me gently and ran me into some Vanir infirmary. Tears streamed down my face even more than before. I've never felt this much pain before.

In my entire 1033 years of existence I've never been in so much pain. I scream as the woman tells me to push. I breathe and push.

I feel a surge of pain through my lower body. I let out a loud scream. Then I hear his voice, "Leidi!" He's come back. I haven't found him, but he's found me. I hear the cries of a baby as I fall into a peaceful dark sleep.

Loki

It was a girl. I almost jump for joy at my small victory, but I feel in pain at the amount of pain I've put her through. The baby is swaddled in cloth and taken to be cleaned.

I sit beside her bed and hold her hand. She's unconscious from the pain. Tears slip from my eyes as I realize how much I've wronged her. She's done so much for me. And I left her over a petty matter.

I should've listened to her. "Leidi," Thor enters the room and freezes, "Brother." Oh dear, the oaf is going to get emotional on me. He walks over and captures me in a bone crushing hug. I struggle against his grip, "Thor, I need... AIR!"

With that, Leidi's eyes fluttered open. "Loki," she mumbles. Thor releases me and I grab her hand and kiss her fingertips. "Leidi," tears spill from my eyes. "I'm sorry, Loki," she says. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have doubted you," I say.

She props herself on her elbows and sits up. She wraps me in her arms and I bury my head in the crook of her neck. She runs a hand through my hair.

"Leidi, I'm sorry," I say. She rests her hand on the side of my face and kisses me. I missed this. It's been months I've been away. The cries of the baby echo through the halls as I hear a terrified shriek.

Leidi swings her legs over the edge and stands. Thor instinctively runs toward the noise, me and Leidi on his heels. There on the small bed, her crying baby lies. Her crying, jotunn baby.