Chapter 5

Leidi

I enter the dining hall on Thor's arm. There on a raised platform rests a gold piano similar to the one I was playing the other day. The All-Father smiles at me as I enter. I want to stop walking but Thor urges me further.

"Brother, what is this?" I whisper to Thor. "Father enjoyed your song, sister. He wishes for everyone to hear it," he whispers back. "It wasn't a song," I hiss, "and I can't play in front of so many people!"

The All-Father clears his throat, "Leidi, I assume Thor told you why I had the piano placed here." "Uhm, yeah," I say nervously. "The kingdom would like to hear your song. Would you do the honor of playing it for us?" He says.

"Uhm, okay?" I say. "I know you've been through a lot. You need to engage in other things instead of moping around the palace," he says. I nod. He puts his hand on my shoulder and motions for me to sit at the piano.

The All-Father announces that I will be playing my song. Well, experiment. I resist the urge to slap whoever calls it a song and then yell in their face.

I crack my knuckles, which the queen had repeatedly warned me off of because it's not ladylike. But my fingers will start hurting.

I look at the keys and put my fingers on the right ones, so I don't embarrass myself. I press the first notes and continue the song.

I play it as I have done thrice before. Behind me a man stands writing as he watches my fingers dance across the piano. He must be a royal musician.

The notes bring tears to my eyes as I slow it down and bring the notes lower. Then I abruptly speed it up. I hit low notes again.

At the end I play somber notes as a tear escapes my eye and I want to brush it away, but I'm too afraid of stopping.

I play the last two notes and lift my fingers from the piano. The room erupts into applause. But I was thinking of him. I just can't get my mind off of him.

I feel a pair of cold arms wrap around me. But when I look, there's no one. It's strange. It makes me wonder if I'm being haunted by the ghost of Loki. It gives me relief and fear at the same time.

I'm happy because at least Loki is nearby, but I fear that he shouldn't be. "Loki," I let out a hoarse whisper. It's so quiet you either have to be right next to me, or you have to be Heimdall.

I'm right here, love.

His voice is in my thoughts. This is how we used to communicate, but maybe I'm imagining it. Maybe this is just what I want to hear. This is something I'm telling myself.

I rise from the piano and proceed towards my normal seat at the table. I receive some compliments and congratulations, some condolences. One girl shot me a glare. She had blonde hair and green eyes. She was pretty, unlike me. But she dressed shamelessly.

She wore a light green dress that was cut low and rose high. It was like a miniaturized version of my nightgown, and she seemed much taller than me. Sure, I have long legs, but I'm not very tall. But then again, everyone is taller than me.

There are no straps to hold up her dress either. She wears a strange looking headband as well. It was strange how all the men ogled her. But then it was not. Men like pretty girls.

I'm surprised that she's eating in the royal dining hall, dressed that way. She looks like she's from a brothel. I sit in my normal seat. "Nice work," Volstagg claps me on the shoulder. "Uh huh," I say absentmindedly.

That girl piqued my interest. She looked like she could spell doom for me. She didn't seem to like me. She was stifling a smile the day I found my closet full of widow attire.

I feel a hand rest on my shoulder. A cold hand. I turn and see no one. What is happening to me? "Is something the matter, sister?" Thor says. "I don't know," I say, still looking over my shoulder.

"What is it?" Thor asked trying to follow my gaze. "Nothing," I say turning away. I pick at my food, not feeling very hungry. Volstagg looks at my untouched food, but says nothing.

After breakfast, I sit cross legged on Loki's bed, massaging my temples as if Loki would miraculously appear. I hear wind blow through the window, but it's not open. I open my eyes and see nothing.

I feel someone next to me, but I see no one. That's it. I was a little happy with the idea of Loki's presence but now I'm terrified. Whoever is there, if it is Loki at all, is not making me feel at ease. I move away from the presence, "Identify yourself." "Go to Jotunheim and you'll find out," an eerie voice whispers back.

"What?" I say, "Why?" The cold presence is gone. No one speaks. "Why do I have to go to Jotunheim?" I ask the air. "Argh!!" I say flopping back onto the bed.

Why do I have to go to Jotunheim? And who was that? It sure didn't sound like Loki. But there's the sliver of hope that it was Loki. Maybe he's in Jotunheim.

I let out a heavy sigh and drag a hand down my face. "Sister?" Thor opens the door. "You used to knock, brother," I say. He chuckles, "yes but you don't respond when I do." "Yes, brother?" I say.

"Oh, yes. I was wondering if you'd like to come sparring with us. You need to get out," he says. "Don't stick me with Fandral again. He's no challenge. Except once when he made me fight him and..." I trail off, and Thor knows what I was about to say. Tears threaten to spill. I've been crying an awful lot.

"Come, sister. You need something to do," Thor leads me out of my room.

I wear a green and gold tunic, with leather pants. I draw one of the practice swords. Hogun agreed to be my sparring partner for a day while Lady Sif cornered Fandral so many times I lost count.

I hold two fingers out in front of me, before knocking the sword out of Hogun's hand. Then I draw mine close to his neck. He chuckles. "That's three, Leidi," he says, "you are a worthy opponent."

I bring my sword down, "thanks." But for some reason, I feel like I need to go to Jotunheim.