Chapter 16

Leidi

I almost fall forward, if it wasn't for Thor who caught me by the elbows. But the problem is that I don't see Heimdall anywhere. His sword is stuck in the podium, and that's probably how we got in. But Heimdall is nowhere in sight.

"Heimdall?" I call out. I only hear mumbling in response. "Heimdall?" I say getting closer to the noise. I Loki in horror at Heimdall. His hands are tied behind his back. His mouth is gagged and he's wearing a blindfold. "Oh dear, Heimdall, are you alright?" I say sitting down and slowly removing his bindings. "Who has done such a thing?" Thor says as soon as he's completely free.

"Loki," is all he says. He returns to his post and pulls the sword from the podium. "Where is he," I say approaching him. "I don't know. I can't see him," Heimdall seems to search the air. "What do you mean, you can't see him? You see everything. You're supposed to see all," I'm on the brink of tears now, "now suddenly my lover and friend goes missing, and you can't see anything?" I shout at him. I've never shouted at him. 

"Loki has shielded my vision with his magic. I cannot see him no matter how hard I try," he defends. "Then try harder, dammit!" I yell. Thor grabs my arm and pulls my from the dome. "Let go of me brother!" I yell, struggling against his grip.

"Sister, we will find him. Do not trouble Heimdall," he says.

____________________________________

We enter the dome once more. We've been through seven realms so far. That only leaves Vanaheim. I'm sweaty and out of breath. The whole search has taken months. The baby is due. But no matter how much Thor attempts to convince me to rest, I will not. Not until I find Loki. I don't care if I have to search the nine realms and the afterlife. I will find him.

Heimdall sent us to Vanaheim next. I gasp and hold my stomach. The child was kicking harder than usual. But I still stagger to my feet. Thor and I head to the village, which is the only civilization here. If Loki isn't here, we'll have to search the woods.

"Greetings travelers," a little old woman approaches us. Thor and I smile and greet her. "Is here anything I can help you with?" She says, her eyes quickly glancing at my showing stomach. "Yes, we're looking for someone. His name is Loki," I say. "No there's no one by that name, but perhaps he's come under a fake name. What does he look like?" Thor proceeds to describe Loki.

Loki

They've come for me. It took them months, but they're here in Vanaheim. And Leidi looks like she should be due in a few moments. I wonder if it's a boy or girl. Leidi wanted to make it a surprise. I've missed her. I resist the urge to go and fold her into my arms and never let go.

But I can't. She'll find me. And I'll be proven wrong. But there are tears in her eyes and she winced when she walks. They speak to Vana. She knows where I am, but not my name. She won't be able to tell where I am.

I turn and walk back to the home I stay in. As much as it hurts, I can't let her find me. But I turn back when I hear a woman's cries. There, Leidi lies on he ground, howling and holding her stomach.

Her water has broke.