Chapter 3

Leidi

I remember the months I spent with Loki. My job was changing him, but in truth, he changed me. I sit at the large golden piano. I found this wandering the halls once. I came when I needed consolation.

I experiment with he piano, making strange music. My fingers dance across the keyboard. The music starts out slowly and somber. I hold out the notes, shifting my fingers slightly every few minutes.

I pick up the pace and the song intensifies. I use both of my hands, making my notes symbolize life. Calm at the time of birth. The fast portions meant the harder times.

I played slowly when it came to the parts of sadness or even peace. Then I picked up my pace dramatically as if to show action. I hold the last two notes, and I release them when I can't think of anything else.

Thor's voice rings from the door, "That song is lovely. How long have you been working on that piece?" I turn to look at him, "What song?" I ask dumbly. I wasn't playing a song. I was merely experimenting.

"The one you were just playing," he says sitting next to me, "Sister, you needn't be so humble all the time." "I'm not," I say, "it wasn't a song."

"Then what was it?" He says. "I was experimenting," I say. "Really? You came up with all of that just now?" I nod. "I must commend your talents. You're a fine musician," he smiles, "Dear sister, will you play it again for me?"

I hesitate before thinking and recalling which notes I had hit earlier. I fumbled before finding the right notes and repeating them. I focused on the piano. My eyes trained on the task. Thor smiled warmly at my playing. I didn't think I was any good.

There was no one around to hear my playing before. No one had ever heard me play the piano before. No one listened.

I slow the song down and finish with the two low notes from before. "That was lovely, dear sister," Thor says pulling me into an embrace.

"Sister?" The queen stands at the door, "I must say, that is very lovely Thor." I smile a little. I can no longer put my entire heart into a smile. The cold chill returns and I resist the urge to shiver. I feel as though someone has sat next to me. But there is no one.

"That was a lovely piece, although I only heard the end. Will you play it once more for me," she says. I internally groan. I have to play the song again. The song I didn't intend to create. The song forged from my sadness and anger being thrown to the piano.

The queen sat next to me, and looked at me expectantly. "It wasn't a song," I mutter. "What?" The queen says confused. "She was merely experimenting with the piano," Thor explained, "She didn't intend for it to be a song." "It was beautiful anyway," she says, "play it dear."

"Wait," The All-Father says entering the room, "I wish to hear it too." He sits next to the queen and holds her hand. I fumble stupidly for the right beginning notes. It takes less time than before.

I find the notes and begin playing. My fingers moved slowly, and thoroughly. The all sat and listened.

Then my fingers picked up the pace, dancing across the piano keys. I shifted the measure I was playing and changed paces. 

I thought of Loki and played the fast notes from before, thinking of our happy memories. I bring the notes slower then speed up.

It's as if the notes are battling the silence. Then I move it slower. The last part is somber. I remember watching him die. I remember the light leaving his eyes. Tears slip from my eyes as I play the last note again. I can only think of Loki.

When I finish, they clap. Odin smiles. I didn't think he'd be one to show kindness.