Chapter One| The New Girl

My name, is Tobin Heath. I have big dreams of becoming one of the best soccer players in the USA. I'm just a senior in high school, so I still have ways to go.

I want my final year in high school to be the best year of my life. That's a lot to ask, I know but I want it to be. With the kind of life I live, it's kind of hard to ask for that. After being bullied for half my life, I didn't know what to believe. I just kept thinking that things would only get worse, that one day I just won't be able to deal with it anymore. That maybe one day, I'll just fall apart.

The only thing that motivates me are my dreams, dreams of playing for the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team. My dreams keep me going, that is why every single day I am able to wake up every morning. That's what keeps me going, if I never had soccer. I wouldn't have made it this far and God knows what I would do.

It's the middle of November so you can't expect much during school except for Thanksgiving break. I know for sure that's what I'm looking forward too, in fact that's what I look forward to everyday. Having no school just so I won't have to deal with anyone, especially  Melissa Henderson. The girl who is always so rude to me, the girl who pushes me into bathroom stalls and locks me in there. The girl that I unfortunately have to be teammates with on my high school soccer team. She thinks she's the absolute best in soccer, clearly it looks like she's only been playing for two years. In soccer, she always trips me on purpose and claims it was just an accident. I know yelling and talking back at her won't solve anything, it won't changed her hatred for me. So I just stay quite and get pushed around.

My two only friends Lauren Cheney and Amy Rodriguez are my closet friends. I've known them since I was only five years old. We've played soccer together for such a long time I lost count. They are the ones who stick up for me because I am just too weak. They know what I've been through so only they understand, know one else. Being friends with them is fun. We laugh, share jokes, and they are also part of the reason why I'm staying strong. They always know when I'm down and they always know how to pick me right up, by using the right words. The best part about being friends with Lauren and Amy is that we have the same dreams of joining the National Team, together. Side by side ever since we were five and we are planning on sticking together for the rest of our soccer career.

I wake up, five o'clock every single morning, except weekends. Weekends are my favorite thing ever, especially the sleeping portion of it. I rub the sleep from my eyes and stretch, until I feel like my body has the ability to crawl out of bed. I head straight to the bathroom and take a quick shower. I dress into Nike sweatpants and a sweatshirt. After I'm done using the bathroom, I grab my school bag and head downstairs, my mouth starts to water at the smell of bacon and waffles.

I find my dad in his usual spot at the kitchen table, sipping his coffee while reading the morning newspaper. My brother Jeffery is sitting on the couch watching ESPN, my brother and I love watching sports news. I join my dad at the kitchen table, and my mom hands me a plate with bacon and waffles. "Good morning sweetie." My mom says in her high pitched voice. "Morning." I say as I take a bite out of my waffles.

After breakfast I walk upstairs, back to the bathroom and I brush my teeth and apply only a little bit of makeup. Unlike the girls at my school, especially Melissa. They cake themselves with makeup I swear her eyebrows are probably drawn in. I sigh as I take one glance at the mirror and I walk out. I head back downstairs, grab my bag, black Nike shoes and my car keys. I say goodbye to everyone and I am off. Like always, I drive in silence, it always seems to calm me down when it's silent.

When I arrive at the school, I find my two friends, Lauren and Amy waiting for me by the flag pole. Our usual meeting spot.

"Hey Tobs!" Lauren says as she smiles at me and I just smile back at her and Amy. Together, we walk to our lockers. We are very fortunate to have our lockers right next to each other. Lauren and I have first hour biology together and at the end of the day we have history together. I don't have any classes with Amy but the three of us do have lunch together so I guess it's okay.