Chapter Twenty | Not Without You

TOBIN'S POV

I look at my dad nervously. This is from the National Team and my dreams could ether be shattered or fulfilled.

I hold the envelope in my hands and I turn around to find Lauren, Amy, Alex, and Christen. When I do, I bring them all in my room and they all look at me confused. To answer their questions I show them the envelope and they all stare in awe. Then slowly, Lauren, Amy, and Alex pull out their own envelopes with the same wording as mine and they all smile at me. Then I look over at Christen and she nods her head.

"I just sent my application yesterday so I won't be getting an answer yet." She says as she smiles at me and quietly leaves us alone in my room.

I look over at Lauren, Amy and Alex and they hold their envelopes in their hands just as desperate as I am to open them. "Lauren, go first." I say. She nods her head and tears off the envelope and takes out the letter.

"I got in." She says with a huge smile on her face. "I'm going to New York!"

We all give her big hugs, but we weren't ready to celebrate. Not until we all know whose going, and I hope it's all of us.

"Amy, you're turn." She says. Amy starts taking her letter out of the envelope and begins to read it. "I got in!" She says excitedly. I smile at her, if Alex and I both make the National Team, it will be a dream come true.

"You open yours Toby." Alex says to me with a warm smile. I open my envelope and take out the letter inside. I open it up and begin to read the short paragraph.

"I got in!" I say happily and I was engulfed into a huge hug by Alex.

"I knew you would." Alex says as as kisses the top of my head.

"Now it's you're turn." I say to Alex, as she nods her head at me. Lauren, Amy and I each look at her intently as she opens up her envelope and begins to read it. I can see her eyes move as she reads. She looks up from the envelope and looks at us without an expression on her face.

"Well?" Amy says.

"I... Didn't make it." Alex says as her voice cracks and she falls to the ground and begins to cry. The rest of us just stand there in shock, why didn't she make it? Is all that floats through my head. She was just as good as I am. Today, that was suppose to be a day of joy and celebration has turned into a day where dreams are shattered. "Lauren, Amy can you give us a minute?" I say to them. They quietly nod there heads and give Alex a hug and walk out the door, making sure to close the door behind them.

"Alex.... I'm so sorry." I say as I sit down next to her and pull her head on my lap and I feel her tears stain my sweat pants that I was wearing. I stroke her hair knowing that it calms her down and I wait until she finally stops crying. "Tobin?" Alex croaks out.

"I'm here." I say. "I'm sorry for everything. You should've made it and... I don't know what to say at this point."

"There is nothing to say except for the fact that I'm not good enough." Alex says.

"Don't say that, you're better than me and I know that for a fact. You always have next year and I'll wait until then." I say.

"Should I just quit soccer?" Alex asks.

"No! This has always been your dream, and just because you didn't make it now, doesn't mean you suck. It means that from here you can only get better." I say.

"So what are you going to do now?" Alex asks me.

"I guess I have to go with Lauren and Amy." I say quietly.

"To New York?" Alex asks me.

"Yeah, to New York. But I don't want to go, I can wait until next year when you're on the team." I say.