Chapter Twenty Five | Sickness and In Health

Time skip three weeks before the World Cup

TOBIN'S POV

I think the best news you could ever hear is that you're going to the World Cup. What we've been dreaming of for such a long time comes to this moment where in three weeks, we will fulfill our goal, of winning the FIFA World Cup.

Today being Monday its suppose to be an easy day that I'm thankful for. I do the usual morning routines and I head down to breakfast with the rest of the team. Being here in Canada is a lot different than New York, but after staying here for so many weeks it's technically home.

I take my spot with Cheney, Arod, HAO, KO, and Press and we all eat breakfast talking about whatever is on our mind. It took me a while to notice that Alex isn't here. Shes never late to breakfast if anything she's always the first one here. Maybe she slept in a little late who knows. I wouldn't know where she is because we aren't roommates so I decide to ask Kelley.

"Hey Kels, have you seen Alex?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's in our room sleeping." Kelley says as if nothing is wrong.

"Shouldn't she be here?" I ask.

"Yeah but she said she wasn't feeling well, in fact she hasn't been feeling well for like two days so Jill let her rest." Kelley says.

I let out a sigh of relief as I continue eating breakfast but in the back of my mind, I'm hoping she's okay.

We go through ice baths and pool workouts today and it wasn't that bad. After getting all dressed into a new set of clothes I decide to go check on Alex. I go knock on Alex and Kelley's room and I hear shuffling until the door finally opens. "Hey Tobs." Kelley says quietly and by the expression on her face, clearly something is wrong. I walk into their room and I see Alex laying in bed, with Dawn right by her side.

"Uh, hey." I say. Dawn turns to face me and gives me a weak smile.

"Hi Tobin." I hear Alex say as she also gives me a weak smile.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I ask.

"We don't know. She's been losing so much weight in only two days, and she won't eat." Dawn says.

"Alex, is something wrong? You aren't starving yourself are you?" I ask and I watch as Alex widens her eyes.

"I'm not doing that to myself. I... I just don't feel like eating." Alex says.

"Dawn, what do you have to say about this?" I ask.

"We can't figure out what's wrong, so we'll take her to the hospital once the ambulance comes." Dawn says.

"Ambulance? Is it that bad?" I ask.

"Tobin, there's nothing to question. I need to find out what's wrong." Alex says nervously and I nod my head as I lay next to her on her bed. I smile as she wraps her arms around me.

After ten minuets the paramedics take her out on a stretcher, and place her in the ambulance. The whole team just watches as the ambulance drives away blaring it's sirens.

"We should all go." Carli says as she breaks the silence in the air.

"Go where?" Pinoe asks.

"Visit her, be good and supportive teammates." Carli answers back as she grabs he car keys from her pocket. We all car pool into each other's car and drive to the hospital. When we get there, we all take our seats in the waiting room. Every now and then kids would come up to us to get an autograph and it calmed us down being able to see some fans. But, deep down I knew everyone was worried and my heart aches for my best friend.

Finally, a doctor shows up and approaches all of us. Jill and Dawn are the first ones to stand up waiting for whatever news it is.

"Results will be revealed tomorrow so all of you, should go home and take it easy. We'll be keeping her here until then." The doctor says as he smiles at us and walks away.

"I'm heading back now and you guys can stay if you want but just remember we have training tomorrow morning." Abby says. Everyone slowly leaves, except me, Lauren and Amy. The three of us waiting for our best friend, even though we'll be here for a while.

I go up to the front desk and ask for her room number which is 438. I walk to her room, with Lauren and Amy right behind me. I gently knock on the door and even though i didn't hear an answer, i slowly open the door and see Alex laying in a bed with all sorts of wires attached to her.

"Hey Lex." I say with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Hey kid, how ya doing?" Amy asks as we all pull up chairs beside her bed.

"I don't know how I'm doing. I don't know what's going on and is it okay to say that I'm scared?" Alex asks.

"It's okay to be scared, we're scared too." Lauren says.

"Why are you guys still here?" Alex asks.

"You should know the answer to that Lex." I say and it goes quiet. After awhile Lauren and Amy leave, leaving only me and Lex.

"You're staying?" Alex asks.

"You stayed by me, so I'll stay too." I say back. Slowly, I begin to fall asleep on the bed side of Alex's bed.

---------

ALEX'S POV

I watch as Tobin closes her eyes and I hear her light snoring and I smile at that. I slip my hand into hers and I smile as I feel her intertwine our hands together. I kiss the top of her forehead and I slowly begin to fall asleep.

The next day

I wake up, feeling nauseous. I close my eyes tightly and open them back up. I look down at Tobin as I release my hand from hers and I run my hand through my hair. I gently shake her awake. I let out a small laugh as she sits up her hair an absolute mess. I tuck her hair behind her ear and Tobin laughs along with me. "Glad to know you slept well but you have training today so I'd better get going."

"I'll stop by later okay?" Tobin says as she kisses the top of my head and quickly walks out, I let out a sigh. I hate being alone especially right now.

As the morning goes by slowly, I actually get excited when my doctor walks in the room with a clipboard. I sit up in my bed, waiting to hear what he has to say. "Any results?" I ask. The doctor shakes his head no.

"The MRI testings were messed up so if you don't mind us taking another one." The doctor says.

"I guess I don't have any other option." I say as I let out a nervous laugh. A few nurses wheel me to the same room where I got my MRI's and the second time around I was more nervous.

Afterwards I was wheeled back to my room where I decided I had nothing better to do then fall asleep, but it wasn't long when my doctor came back in with an expression on his face that I can't quite read and I knew right away that this wasn't going to good.

"Ms. Morgan...." The doctor starts. And I look up at him, just waiting to hear what he has to say. "You've been diagnosed with stage two pancreatic cancer."

*****************

AUTHORS NOTE

Part II will be out later tonight, I just thought cliff hangers were exciting.

Stay tuned!