Chapter Twenty Six | PART II Sickness and In Health

ALEX'S POV

"What?" I blurt out as I feel tears form in my eyes. "How?"

"I'm really sorry Ms. Morgan. I know this is hard for you and believe me it was hard to tell you, especially because you have an important soccer career. It started in the pancreas and worked its way around other areas of the pancreas. You had two tumors but they combined into one large one." The doctor explains to me as he pulls out a chair to sit on. "I know you have a lot of questions, so please let me explain and if I don't get to a question please let me know. Is there a cure? Possibly, it depends on the tumor and if it decides to grow. We would have to wait two weeks, before any type of surgery or transplant is done. I'll tell you more about that when the time comes near. How long do you have to live? Like I said it depends on the tumor and how much it grows. As of right now a little more than two years is your life span but we are looking to expand those years for a full life ahead of you. What about soccer? Well, I'm afraid you won't be able to play any longer until some type of miracle happens." The doctor says as he finishes explaining everything.

I have no idea what to think right now, I can't believe this would happen to me. Me. I have such a long life to live and I want to do so much more in my life, and god I don't want to end it soon. "I'll leave you alone for now, and again I'm sorry." The doctor says as he puts his head down and walks out of the room.

Right then and there I needed someone with me, I wanted someone to hold me tight and tell me it's going to be okay. When I know it won't be, I need Tobin here beside me, telling me that I'll get through this. Tears stream down my cheeks, and they fall uncontrollably. I hate knowing that I'm going to die soon.

--------

TOBIN'S POV

After training, I leave to go and visit Alex at the hospital, hoping that everything is okay, I leave first because Lauren and Amy told me they'll stop by later. I drive to the hospital listening to the radio. When I get there, I park my car in the parking lot and head up to the front desk. I fill in the guest form and I knock on Alex's room. Like before there was no response, so I slowly open the door to find Alex asleep.

I pull up a chair beside her bed and I slip my hand into hers and I watch as her eyes flutter open. I wasn't used to seeing red, blood shot eyes. I was used to seeing those ocean blue ones. "Hey Lex." I say as I give her a smile. She turns to look at me with a blank expression in her face but she doesn't say anything.

"Is everything okay Lex? Did you get any news?" I ask, and like before she doesn't answer. For the next fifteen minutes an uncomfortable silence fills the air and it makes me worried, so worried it makes me sick to my stomach.

"I can't do this anymore Lex. It's been twenty minutes and you still haven't said a thing to me. There's something wrong and you aren't telling me and it's killing me. It's killing me Lex." I say as a tear rolls down my cheek as I feel Alex's grip on my hand tighten. "Please just say something." I say.

Finally Alex turns to look at me and tears roll down her cheek like a waterfall. Hurt fills her eyes and I'm desperate to know what's hurting her. What's making her look so hurt and destroyed. Alex opens her mouth, as if she's about to say something but nothing comes out.

Just then, Lauren and Amy walk in the room along with a couple of teammates who followed along. I was happy they were here, and I hope Alex was too.

"So? Any news?" Carli asks us.

"She hasn't said anything, not one single word." I say as I look at Alex as she stares out the hospital window. We all watch as Carli makes her way to Alex's side.

"Say something Alex, please. None of us want to find out the hard way, and I promise we'll be here no matter what." Carli says. Finally Alex looks away from the window and looks directly at me. Tears flood her eyes and it hurts seeing my best friend like this.