Chapter Twenty Eight | Sacrifice

TOBIN'S POV

I had no idea what was going through my mind, but I knew that I was going to do whatever it takes to save my best friend from dying. Dr. Philips looks at me with an expression on his face that I can't read.

"You? How could you be so sure?" He asks me.

"Please, just let me do it." I say.

"Have you thought this through? Are you sure you want to do this? It requires three weeks of recovering." He says.

"I'm sure." I say as I watch as he takes out a piece of paper.

"Surgery, tomorrow at seven in the morning. Don't eat to much tonight." He says.

"Will I be able to leave the hospital right after surgery?" I ask.

"After surgery, we would need you to stay here for an hour. But yes you can be released." He says and I nod, I don't want to miss the rally tomorrow.

I go back to Alex's room and I slip my hand into hers. I watch as her chest slowly moves up and down, that's when I break down and cry. I put my hand over her heart feeling her heart beat as tears continue to flow down my cheeks. That's when her eyes flutter open revealing her ice blue eyes.

"Tobin?" She says as she places her hand over mine. "What are you doing?" She asks.

"I don't want you to die Lex." I say as I continue to cry.

"What if I do Tobin? What if it all ends?" Alex says as tears begin to fill her eyes.

"I don't want you too, so please don't." I say.

"I've wanted to tell you this since the day I found out I don't have much longer. You're amazing Tobin, and you're my best friend. And most importantly I love you. I want you to stay strong no matter what happens to me, continue being happy, continue doing things that you love and continue to be the amazing girl you are. There's no one else in this world that is exactly like you, because you're special. So special Tobin I want you to see how special you really are. Don't ever stop smiling, and don't ever stop believing in the most beautiful things. Don't ever stop being my best friend and don't ever stop loving me. Because I won't ever stop loving you and I won't ever stop being your best friend. I won't ever forget the memories we made and the promises we kept. I hate this Tobin I hate the thought of leaving you and everything. It was all coming together and now. Now it's all falling apart and I'm going to miss so much in our lives. And I'm sorry I don't have much longer, and I'm sorry I can't stay for as long as you want me too. But don't forget, we're the dynamic duo. The beginning of every party." Alex says. By then I was sobbing, and I couldn't control it. The saddest most beautiful words were still ringing in my ears. "Don't ever forget me Tobin."

"How could I?" I say in between sobs.

"You can, and you might. But if that's your way of moving on. If finding another friend makes you happy, please. Let something or someone else make you happy." Alex says as she continues to cry.

"I'm not going to move on Lex not without you." I say.

"Can you promise me that? Because I can promise you this Tobin. I'll always be waiting up in the gates. I'll be safe up there. I'll be happy up there so you won't have to worry." Alex says.

"That's a promise I won't ever break, just please don't go yet. I'm not ready." I say.

"I'm not ready either Tobin, but right now I want you to do just one thing." Alex says.

"Anything."

"Pray for me." Alex says as she begins to cry harder then before.