Chapter Twenty Seven | Stay With Me

Time skip three days before the World Cup

TOBIN'S POV

Tomorrow we would be leaving to go back to Canada for the World Cup final, and lets just say I didn't want to go. I want to play soccer but what about Alex? Today being an easy day because of our flight tomorrow, Lauren, Amy, Kelley and I all go to the hospital to visit Alex.

Today would be our last day visiting her until we leave for Canada. The drive to the hospital was quite and once we got there we all went into her room with our heads down.

I look up at Alex and it's only been three weeks since she was diagnosed and she looks terrible. Bags are placed right under her eyes, her skin looks so pale. Her once fit body, is far to skinny you can't even tell she played soccer. Her eyes aren't the ocean blue that I honestly missed seeing. I let out a sigh as we all pull up chairs next to her bed.

We all talk, trying to keep our minds off of what Alex is going through. We share a few jokes to lighten the mood and a few times Alex cracked the slightest smile.

"T-Tobin?" Alex says as she searches for my hand. I quickly grab hers and gently squeeze it.

"Right here Lex." I say trying to fight back tears. The way she talks is so different.

"Can I talk to you alone?" Alex says barely a whisper. Kelley, Lauren and Amy all stand up and leave, closing the door behind them.

"You're leaving tomorrow." Alex says softly.

"Yeah I know, are you okay with us not being here?" I ask and Alex nods.

"You're going to win big." Alex says. "Raise that trophy over your heads... For me because I can't be there."

"We will Lex, I promise you we will." I say as a tear rolls down my cheek. "You have to stay strong, you will win this battle I know you will. Can you stay strong for me?" I say and Alex nods her head.

Just then a doctor comes in the room and asks me to leave. I let out a sigh but when I stand up I feel Alex's cold hand on mine and she pulls me close to her.

"Score for me Tobin." Alex says with a crack in her voice.

"Okay." Is all I say as I give her hand one last squeeze before I let go. "Bye Lex." I say then I left the room.

I meet up with the rest and we all head back to the hotel. The entire team and staff hasn't been taking the cancer news very well, now we're just living day to day. We all worry that what if today was her last day, or what if tomorrow is. We don't know what to think so we just stay strong everyday.

"How is she?" Press asks me as I sit in the lobby alone and she sits in the couch next to me.

"She's fine I guess." I say.

"How are you Tobin?" Press asks me and I let out a long sigh.

"I'm scared Press." I say as I look up at the ceiling to prevent my tears from falling.

"You have to stay strong for her too, you know that right?" Press says and I nod my head yes. Then I feel her embrace me and I cry into her shoulder.

After my crying has subsided she looks at me and gives me a small smile. "She's strong like you, and she'll make it. You just have to believe in that." Press says and I don't answer I just nod my head yes.

The next day

ALEX'S POV

I open my eyes from last nights sleep. I use the remote so I could sit up in bed and I call in a nurse to bring me breakfast. A nurse comes in with a tray of food and I look at it, having absolutely no appetite.