Chapter Nine| Not A Goodbye

Time skip after summer

TOBIN'S POV

I set my phone down, after scrolling through my Twitter. I rub the sleep from my eyes and I look at Alex who is still sound asleep next to me. I look down at the floor and I find Lauren and Amy stretched out on the floor, and I can't help but laugh at the sight of my friends. I shake my head as I chuckle to myself as I quietly climb out of bed and walk into the bathroom.

I take a nice, long shower. Making sure that I look presentable. Right now, I'm trying not to think about what the next couple hours will look like. But I already know that they will be the hardest couple hours in my life. I am leaving for North Carolina to fulfill my dreams. I just don't want to leave, not now. And to be honest, I don't ever want to leave New Jersey. But I know I have too, it's my future and these are my dreams that I choose to follow. I want to make it to the National Team with my best friends, and if this is the first couple steps to accomplish that goal. Then there's no way I'm turning this down.

I put on my favorite Nike sweatpants, that are super comfortable, and I grab one of Alex's high school warm up jackets and I put it on. The flight from New Jersey to North Carolina is about three to four hours, so I decided to wear comfy clothes.

As I finally look at myself in the mirror one last time, I walk out and head back into my room, I find Lauren still asleep but Amy and Alex are up on their phones. I walk across my room until I hear someone yell "Ow."

"Tobin what the hell?" Lauren says as she sits up from where she was laying and rubs her eyes.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You literally just stepped on me." Lauren mumbles. "What, did you forget your glasses?"

"Sorry Cheney it happens and I forgot to put my contacts in." I say with a smirk as she slaps me on the shoulder and I pretend to wince in pain. She rolls her eyes at me as she gets up and heads to the bathroom. I finally join Amy and Alex who are sitting on my bed, on their phones. "Well good morning to you too." I say as I roll my eyes towards them.

Alex looks at me and gives me a slight smile. "Do you have to go Toby?" Alex asks as she lays her head against my shoulder.

"You know I have too, it's been my dream and you know that." I say as I run my hand through my hair. "Besides, you have your own dreams to fulfill."

"I know, I'm just really going to miss you." Alex says back, as she begins to braid my hair.

"I'm going to miss you too." Amy says as she throws a pillow at me.

A few minutes later, Lauren comes into my room all showered and dress. Then, Alex uses the bathroom and finally Amy. We all go downstairs into my kitchen where my mom already has breakfast on the table. The four of us take our seats and begin to eat. This has been a daily routine for this whole week. We spent our last week, together and the more time we spend together, the more I'm really going to miss them. Lauren, Amy and I are already going to our colleges, and we have to leave Alex behind because her college starts in two weeks.

After breakfast, which was filled with plenty of conversation. For the last time we all go up to the hill that is technically claimed by the four of us. We sit on the top, our backs against the grass and our eyes just wander the sky. "This has been the best summer I could have ever asked for." I say as I break the silence.

"Correction, best year." Lauren says back.

"What am I going to do when you're all in college and I'm here alone?" Alex asks.

"I mean, you'll be in college in two weeks, so it shouldn't be to bad. We just get a head start." I say, as I close my eyes. "Besides, we'll call each other and maybe even Skype."