Chapter 13

Ariel

"Has the jury decided?" The judge asked, I sat in my seat, watching Dean twist his ring nervously around his finger. 

"Yes sir." A bigger sized man stood up. "We have decided that the defendant is guilty." Guilty, they called him guilty. Tony is going to jail, which means that we're going into foster care. At the end of my meeting with my fathers lawyer I asked him if it was possible for one of my uncles to take us in until I turned 18. He said it was unlikely though since they weren't actually related to me, in which in argument I brought up Andy who was very much related. Yet again, he said it was unlikely the court would agree to it since Andy has 3 kids and is in a travelling band. 

"Ariel." Andy poked my arm, snapping me out of the daze I was in. "They're letting you talk to Tony before they take him away." I nodded, standing up and grabbing Dean's hand. One of the security guards let us into a room away from everyone so we could have a little privacy, yet when I glanced around the room I saw cameras in every corner. We sat down on one side of the table and waited for a couple minutes until I saw the door open. 

I had though he looked terrible from far away, but up close he looked even worse. His eyes had dark circles underneath like he hadn't slept for 5 years, his lips were chapped, dry tears stained his cheeks, his hair was greasy and hung limp around his face, he looked so skinny, the hair hanging around his face made him appear skinnier. 

"You look terrible." I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning back in the chair as he sat down in the chair across from us. 

"I know." He sighed, letting the guard handcuff him to the table. "You look nice though." I could tell he was feeling guilty, he was trying to make conversation. I looked down at my clothing and sighed. I had worn a pair of black skinny jeans that didn't have any rips in them and a black tank top with a dark blue blazer over top. 

"Tony." I saw a hurt expression flash across his face at hearing his real name come out of my mouth. "You were a shit father." I saw him start to open his mouth to protest but I stopped him. "Don't you dare interrupt." I sat forward, lacing my fingers together in my lap. "You were a shit father, but I don't think you should go to prison." He looked up shocked. "I'm not saying that I forgive you at all, because I don't, you've damaged the whole family, but I do wish that you weren't going to prison." i sighed, taking a deep breath. "They're putting Dean and I into foster care." He opened his mouth again but closed it quickly, remembering what I had told him. "They won't send us to live with Andy because he's in a band and has 3 other kids, so I suggested the other guys, but since they aren't actually related to us, it couldn't possibly work." I looked at Dean who was staring at the wall, a look of hurt written all over his face and tears welling up in his eyes. 

"I didn't want any of this to happen." Tony cried, fresh tears already falling his cheeks. "I was so broken up when she died. After that I stopped feeling so that I wouldn't feel that way again, yet here I am 12 years later feeling that same way." He looked up at the ceiling but I knew what he was thinking. "I know I haven't been the best father, but I want you both to know that I do love you." He looked back down at both of us. "Dean, I'm sorry that I wasn't the father you wanted me to be, and Ariel." He looked at me, one single tear escaped my eye and rolled down my cheek as I looked at him. "I'm sorry you had to grow up so fast." 

"Time is up." The security guards came back into the room to take Tony away. I stood up, pulling Dean up as well, and followed behind the guards. We stood outside the courthouse, watching Tony get put into one of those black police vans that transport prisoners. 

"You okay Ari?" Andy asked me. 

"No." I sighed. "I don't think I'll ever be okay."