Road Trip...Again

"What the hell is the matter with you?" my mom yelled. She paced back and forth in front of me while I sat on the couch like a scared puppy being scolded for peeing in the house.

We had just gotten home from the police station. Reagan's dad had taken us all in, even Reagan. Officer Phillips (Reagan's dad) had called all our parents and decided not to press charges if we refrained from hanging around his son. I didn't really care if we could hang with him or not, after this fiasco, my mother would definitely be making us move, anything to keep running away from who we were.

"Do you want him to find us?" she yelled. I just looked down at the carpet, afraid to meet her eyes. "WELL DO YOU?" she screamed. I flinched. My mother never raised her voice. She saw me flinch and her face softened, "Leigh, I'm sorry for yelling at you, but when is this 'acting out' phase of yours gonna end?" she did air quotes when she said 'acting out'. I shrugged, still to frightened to look up at her.

She put her hand on my knee and gave it a gentle squeeze, "We're going to have to move again, we do not need anyone onto us or anything. Early morning, be ready". She stood and headed towards her room. I headed to just room to start packing for the next place on the never ending mom and Leigh road trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared out the window as we passed a huge worn sign that said "Welcome to Dunkirk, Ohio, population -936". I cringed, I hated small towns, but those were the ones we usually frequented. He couldn't find us easily there. We passed a decent sized high school, which I knew I would be attending tomorrow.

After five minutes of driving, my mom pulled up to a one story house with a little fence. It was cute but small. She looked over at me,"Let's try and stay here more than seven months ok". I smiled, "No promises", she gave me a stern look and got out the car. We finished unpacking around nine and went out to buy some food. We went to the only grocery store in the entire town. We picked up a few essentials and made our way to the cashier's counter.

"Well I've never seen you two around here, you new?" the girl asked while scanning our items. My mom smiled,"Yes we are. This is my daughter Leigh, and I'm Tina". The cashier smiled back,"Well I'm Stacey, and we are happy to have you", she turned to me. "So Leigh, you attending Findlay?". I nodded. "I go there; I'll show you around okay?" Before I could tell Ms. Sunshine Helper that I could manage, my mom answered," She would just love that, right Leigh?".

I sighed,"Super". Great I've already made 'friends' with a goody girl. Considering my luck she was probably head cheerleader. School tomorrow should be oh so much fun.