Crossing Bridges

Picture of Leigh to your right :)

Recap:

“Dad please! Just stop all of this. If you loved us you’d let us be happy.” I said still trying to appeal to his human side. He looked at me, “Leigh this is my family and I’m taking them back! You both belong to me!” he bellowed. I scooted loser to the wall; he was really starting to scare me.

He propped my mom up onto the wall on the opposite side of the room. I wanted so badly for her to wake up, but she didn’t. He pressed a kiss to her mouth and walked out of the room, Stacey trailing behind him. As soon as the door slammed shut, I went back to cutting at the rope with a vengeance. Now we really needed to get out of here. We were running out of time.

*********

After an hour of poking, prodding, and stabbing myself, I finally got my hands free. I leaned against the wall and let out a sigh of relief. We were going to get out of here. I looked over to Hannah. She was asleep and her breathing was harsh. I needed to get her out of here immediately. I went to work untying my bound feet when I heard a whimper from the opposite side of the room.

“Mom?! Are you okay?” I asked as I began untying the knotted rope as fast as I could. She whimpered again. I finally untied myself, and stood up to go over to her. But I immediately crashed to the ground. I had close to no feeling in my legs. I groaned and rubbed the sore part of my cheek that had connected with the ground. I let out a frustrated sigh and began crawling over to my mom.

When I reached her, I sat up and pulled her into my arms. “Mom, don’t worry. I’m going to get us out of this.” She nodded looking as helpless as ever. I began unbinding her legs and hands. When I finished, she didn’t even stand up. She just drew her knees into her chest and began sobbing.

I wanted to comfort her, but I had to check on Hannah. I crawled over to Hannah and began untying her hands. She woke up with a start and widened eyes. “How did you—“ she asked with disbelief. I gave her a reassuring smile as I finished freeing her.

“Do you think you could walk maybe?” I asked slowly. Tears filled her eyes as she shook her head. “Maybe you and your mom should just go and get help. It’s better than trying to drag me out of here and all of us getting caught again” I shook my head. “I am not leaving you here” Tears were freely falling down her grimy cheeks now. “Leigh, go get Kyle’s dad and stop fucking around. This is not a movie where we become best friends and die together okay? Just go get help”

I held back a smile as the old bitchy Hannah reared her ugly head. I was oddly happy to see her. I nodded; “I will come back okay?” she just looked away from me.

I steadied myself along the wall and tried standing up. As soon as I stood, I leaned my weight against the wall as the feeling starting returning to my legs. It was excruciating. It felt as if thousands of needles were stabbing into me. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming.

After about five minutes, the pain started to subside. I walked over to my mom on wobbly unstable legs. I probably resembled a drunkard on a swaying boat. I reached my mom and hauled her up.