What About Us?

Picture of Leigh to your right :)

Recap:

Kyle tapped me, “Look, Carson’s car isn’t even here. Didn’t he say he was taking her for a burger before they came here?” I frowned, “Whatever” I said deflated. We were about to walk off the porch when we heard loud yelling coming from inside. Letting my curiosity get the best of me, I peered into the window. Mr. Brinks came into view. He had an angry expression in his face, and was pointing his finger threateningly in the face of a figure with a hood on. I held my breath, willing the person to turn around so I could confirm my suspicions. A wisp of blond hair flashed telling me all I needed to know. Stacey was in the house, and Mr. Brinks had never looked so angry.

**********

Holy shit! “Kyle I need you to knock on the door and ask for Carson ok?” Kyle looked at me questioningly but did it anyway. I jumped over the railing for the porch, and hid at the side of the house. Just as I got comfortable in my hiding spot, the door was opened.

“Mr. Marchetta? How can I help you?” Mr. Brinks said kindly, but his whole demeanor was anything but. As soon as he finished his greeting, Stacey burst out the front door shoving Mr. Brinks hard. Kyle’s eyes widened while Mr. Brinks scowled at Stacey’s back. Stacey skipped over the steps and jogged to her car.

“Psst! Stacey!” I called out to her. She looked up at me and her eyes bulged. I pointed wildly to my house, signaling for her to go there. She nodded and got into her car, and sped off. I looked back up towards the porch, “What was that about?” Kyle asked the now flustered teacher.

Mr. Brinks smiled, “Oh nothing, just Ms. Nolan looking for Carson, but she had to use the bathroom so I let her in. But Carson isn’t here so if you’d excuse me, I’ll be sure to tell him you stopped by” Mr. Brinks shut the door before Kyle could even breathe a word.

Kyle just stood there staring at the door. I stood up and called over to him, “Come on, I’ll explain everything on the way.” He glared at me and made his way over. “What the hell Leigh? What kind of shit are you into? What was Stacey doing here?!” he yelled and whispered at the same time. Times like this is when I remembered that Kyle wasn’t a real bad boy, but just one disguised as such.

On our walk over I explained everything to Kyle. I told him about Mr. Brinks and Stacey’s relationship, and about how she’d used Carson. All Kyle had to say on the matter was that Mr. Brinks was a sicko. I nodded, “I couldn’t agree more.”

As soon as I climbed my porch, Stacey came into view. She was sitting on the “Welcome” mat with her face in her hands. I pulled out my keys and stepped over her. I unlocked the door, just as Kyle helped her up. “Let’s get you inside”

We filed into the house and headed towards the kitchen. They both took seats at the island while I started up the coffee maker. I took the remaining seat and turned to Stacey, “Tell me what the hell happened”

She fidgeted a bit, “I went over to the house to talk to Carson about the party and to also retrieve my ipod. I was going to apologize for getting in between him and Robin, but no one was home.  I saw my ipod through the window though. It was on the small table right next to the door. I had already gotten good at sneaking in because Jeremy had showed me how.”

“Why would he teach you how to break into his house?” Kyle interrupted. Stacey blushed, “Well um…sometimes when his wife sleeps early, he um…invites me over to –“ I slammed my hand on the table causing both of them to flinch, “Ew that’s enough, continue with the story please.”

Stacey nodded, “So I snuck into the house to get the ipod. Just as I was climbing out the window, I was grabbed and pulled out. He started yelling and yanked me into the house through the front door. He started screaming at me and calling me a stalker and a slut. Then thankfully Kyle showed up” she turned to Kyle and smiled. He just stared back. She looked away and bit her lip, “So yeah, that’s what happened”