Trouble Before the Bell Rings

Picture of Stacey to your right :)

I applied eyeliner as carefully as possible, I'd always had a fear of being poked in the eye, and I still do. I took a step back from the mirror to assess myself. I wore a white t-shirt, some skinny jeans, and my favorite flip flops (they were worn and ugly, but hey, who am I trying to impress).

I pulled my dark hair into a ponytail and rubbed my fingers into the corner of my eyes to discard all possible eye boogers. Feeling confident, I hurried downstairs to eat breakfast.

Now contrary to popular belief, there are girls who LOVE to eat, myself being one of them. So when I walked into the kitchen to find no food on the table. I almost had a heart attack. "Mom!" I yelled. I waited for her to answer me, and heard nothing. I scowled when I noticed the note on the kitchen counter along with ten dollars.

"Went to apply for a job. Left you cash for lunch, see you when you come back from school. AND BEHAVE. Love you!" I crumpled up the note and grabbed my bag. I headed outside to the nearest bus stop, ignoring the constant growling from my stomach. I plugged in my headphones and let the sweet sounds of the All American Rejects flood my mind.

After about ten minutes, a rickety bus pulled up to me. The door opened revealing a middle-aged Hispanic man. He smiled and said something. I yanked out my earbud, "What?". He looked flustered from my tone but repeated himself nonetheless, "good morning". I walked up the steps, "What's so good about it?" I mumbled before taking a seat in the third row.

The driver mumbled something about "kids these days having no manners", and started driving again. I surveyed the bus to notice only me and one other person were on it. I turned around and stuck my headphones back in, once again ignoring the vibrating growl of my stomach.

The bus picked up a few more people. All of them staring at me before taking their seats. I just stared forward, I was used to being treated like the outsider. All the moving my mom and I did, who wouldn't be. We arrived to the school, and everybody jumped up to exit. I've never seen people look so excited to get to school in my life, but hey, I'm new here.

I located the office after three minutes of aimlessly walking around. I walked up time the front desk, and opened my mouth to speak, but was completely cut off by the woman in front of me. "Oh Leigh is it?" I nodded. "I have your schedule and books right here. Your locker combination and everything is in the folder on top." I just looked at her. Did this woman ever stop for air? "Um, can you just point me to my first class, then I'll be on my way" I said as nicely as I could manage.

I wanted to get in good with the office workers. Never know when you could use a friend with connections. She smiled, I am busy at the moment, but I can find... Oh look there is Stacey." I dropping my face into my hands, of course Ms. Sunshine Cashier would be here in the office the same time I need help. "Yeah Ms. Rosebury?" she answered while approaching us. "Can you please escort Ms. Desmond to her locker and first period?" Stacey looked at me excitedly, "Of course I can". "Great! Well off you two go", Ms. Rosebury shooed us.

Stacey stalked off in front of me. I had to hurry to keep up with her seeing as how she stood a full half a foot taller than me, and that I was carrying a shitload of books. She turned around quickly with an irritated look on her face, and motioned for me to hurry up. I finally caught you with her when she stopped walking, "This is your locker, your class is down the hall, third door. Bye." SHE rushed off

I frowned. Was this girl bipolar or something? I turned to my locker, and tried to open it, steadying the books in one hand. Bad idea. My books toppled over landing on the foot of the person next to me. I turned to apologize, before I heard the screeching of a banshee.

"What the hell?" I turned to see one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen, even though she was scowling at me I couldn't deny she was pretty. I was straight and everything but I'll admit when a girl is a looker. But that did not mean she could speak to me like that.

"I didn't do it on purpose, and I doubt it hurt as much as you let on. Stop being a drama queen", I bent forward to gather my books opened my locker and stuffed them in. I turned back to the girl to see she was staring daggers at me. "Who even are you? Do you go here? Do you even care you could've broken my foot?"she threw questions at me. I smirked, "I'm Leigh, clearly I go here seeing as how I just placed my books in my locker, and lastly I doubt four textbooks would break your leg". I turned around and headed to my homeroom. Made an enemy on the first day? Good going Leigh.