Blackmail

Picture of Mr. Brinks to your right :)

Mr. Brinks stared at me like he had just seen a ghost. Hell I'd be scared too if the person who knew I was cheating on my wife was standing in my kitchen with my wife. It was ten times worse that it was a student with whom he was cheating.

Everyone was oblivious to the now shocked Mr. Brinks. His wife tugged him into the living room, my mom following close behind, "My dad teaching for any of your classes?" Carson asked from behind me. He placed a bowl of grapes in between us, "Yeah, why?” I asked as I popped a grape into my mouth. He shook his head, “No reason, it just seemed like you guys knew each other. I guess you do." He left me in the kitchen and went into the living room. I ran my fingers through my hair.

How could I use this to my advantage? Could I ask for better grades than everyone else? No, that’s too cliché. That just isn’t my style. Plus, I kind of liked Stacey, I don’t want her to get all pissed at me for using her secret. Poor Jessica though, she seemed oblivious. And what the hell would Carson say? I kind of needed him. Who else would I smoke with? I’ll just sit on this secret until the time comes to use it.

I walked into the living room to see my mom with another glass of wine, Jessica sitting with Mr. Brinks on the opposite couch, and a very cute Carson looking incredibly bored. “I’m getting pretty hungry” I interrupted. Everyone looked up to me, “Oh yes!” exclaimed Jessica. “Let’s eat.” She jumped off the couch, grabbed my mom by the hand like they were friends for years, and rushed passed me into the kitchen.

Carson rolled his eyes and stalked into the kitchen muttering something along the lines of “Acting like a bunch of teenagers” I laughed, and turned to follow him, but was stopped by a firm hand gripping my wrist. I turned to meet the glare of a very pissed Mr. Brinks, “Well hello there Jeremy or should I say Mr. Brinks“, I said sarcastically. I yanked my hand out of his grasp, and stood up straight.

“Why do you seem to be becoming more and more of a problem and I’ve known you for about all of ten hours?” Mr. Brinks whispered. I smiled, “What can I say; I’m always in the right place at the right time. But don’t worry, your dirty secret is safe with me…for now.” I added. His eyes widened. I turned and headed into the kitchen.

Dinner was pretty uneventful other than Jessica talking about Carson’s childhood and him blushing red as a tomato. We left soon after, making the quick walk back to our house in one minute flat. I walked to my room, shed off my clothes and climbed into bed.

The events of today circling in my head as I dozed off, I made a total of three friends, one enemy, and one crush. Not bad for a first day I guess. I went to sleep thinking about my life and how often it changed. Hopefully this one would be the last.

*******

I woke up to my mom banging on the door like a psycho. I bolted up out of bed. What the hell? I rushed to the door and yanked it open. "What do you want?" She stood in her scrubs with her hands on her hips. Apparently she had gotten the job then.

"Carson is downstairs and said he agreed to take you to school last night." I nodded and walked into the bathroom to get ready. I knew me and Carson had made no such plans for him to pick me up, but whatever. It was better than the bus. I texted Robin and told her to be ready for pick up. I needed to form a clique. It might be awkward seeing as how Stacey was sleeping with Carson's dad, but hey, he didn't know so whatever.

I got ready, dressing up a bit more than yesterday. I threw on a white shirt and a pale blue skirt. it was kind of short, but I wanted to feel cute. I rushed downstairs, grabbed a banana, and walked outside to meet an impatient Carson.

"We have to pick up Robin, you know her?" I asked as I climbed into his jeep. He nodded and drove down a few blocks. He stopped in front a huge house and honked. Robin walked out looking young as usual. I smiled when I saw how excited she was. She scrambled into the jeep, "Hey guys! I didn't even know you knew each other" she said as Carson drove down the road.

I told her about the dinner we had last night, as Carson drove. When we got near school, Robin started to pull her bag onto her back. She frowned when Carson drove right past it. I looked up at him questioningly. He smiled and said "I haven't smoked with another person since my buddy moved away four months ago; I'm taking advantage of it." I laughed and looked back at Robin. "You okay with this?" I asked her. She nodded reluctantly. There was hope for her after all I thought as I turned the music up.