Ch.7 The Stranger at the Door

Everyone had been sent home after the whole thing that had happened. So I was at home doing the homework we were assigned and heard a knock at my door. Mom was taking a shower so I was the only one that was able to get up and check on it.

I walked towards the door slowly, grabbing my baseball bat from the wall. I heard another knock and opened the door slowly. Peaking through the crack, I saw a man. "Who are you?" I asked. "Hello. Is your mother here?" I narrowed my eyes.
"Why would you want to know," I say. Squeezing the bat in my hands. He sighs slightly. I narrowed my eyes a bit more then heard footsteps coming from upstairs.

"Taylor? Who is it?" My mother asks from the staircase. "I don't know, but he wants to talk to you," I say. Looking back at her. Her lips go into a thin line. "Alright," she says. "How about you let him in while I get dressed?" I shrug. "Ok."

I step aside and open the door for him to come in, while my mom went upstairs. "Just sit down on the couch," I say. He nodded and sat down. I sat on the chair and began to finish my homework. As I did so I felt a pair of eyes on me. Whenever I looked to see, he had been the one looking. He had a fairly intense look on his face that made me feel fairly tense. "May I help you?" I ask, trying not to seem rude. He closed his eyes and turned away. "No, sorry about that." I shrug yet again, "ok." Then continue my work.

I could hear my moms footsteps coming down the stairs. She reached the bottom of the stairway and looked at me, then at him. She froze in her tracks and her face paled. He looked at her and gave her a kind smile. "Hello Madeline." She regained her composure quickly before saying, "evening Jacob."

I looked between the two, my curiosity almost getting the best of me. "Mom, how do you know him?" I ask anyway. "It's a long story," she smiles sheepishly. He kept staring at my mom. "Doesn't mean we can't discuss it during dinner," he inquired. She sighs and nodded. "Taylor, can you set a table for three?"
I place my homework neatly on the ground before getting up to set the table. I sigh slightly, "This could either really bad , or pretty good."