Chapter 12

*IN THE CAR WITH YOU AND VERNON*

"Vernon .." you say in awe of his crying. 
He took his hands and started whipping the tears off his face. "Forget what I said." he said acting as if nothing ever happened. 

Confused, you said,"Why would you just confess something like that and tell me to forget?" 

"I couldn't control my emotions. I've held it in for too long. But it's too late, there's nothing I can do about it now right? You're with Joshua. I'm with Lilly." he said sucking the hope out of you. 

"Oh.. I guess you're right." you say. 
"I'm sorry. I'll just continue to drive." he said starting the car again. 

You only nod your head. You guys didn't say a word to each other for the whole car ride. The only time you did was to say your goodbyes when he dropped you off. 

*AT THE HOSPITAL WITH JOSHUA AND LILLY*

"What don't you understand?" Joshua said in disbelief. 

"What I don't understand is why you like that girl." Lilly says.

"She's not you. That's what I like about her." 

"I know I did wrong Joshua. I'm sorry for leaving you. But I had no choice." she begged.

"What do you mean you had no choice? Whatever the reason was, couldn't you at least left a note? A voicemail? A phone?" Joshua says getting louder.

"MY FATHER WAS DYING WHAT COULD I DO." Lilly shouted.

Joshua's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "W-what? Say that again?" 

Lilly started crying. "My father was at his last stage of cancer.. My mom told us that I had to go all of the sudden. I didn't have time do anything, right after school I had to go. The day before our anniversary." 

"Why didn't you tell me? .." 

"I couldn't. I was a coward. Leaving you hurted me, I didn't have the courage to tell you."

Lilly's mom ran barged into the room. Joshua hasn't seen her in years, memories came back to him. The first time him and Lilly's mom met they clicked. Joshua was supposed to be her future fiance.. until she left him.

"MY POOR DAUGHTER. WHAT HAPPENED." she said pushing Joshua over. 

"Mom.. why're you here? Aren't you busy running the company?" 

"Whatever about the company. My poor baby.." she said tears forming. 

"Hi Mrs.Lee.. I haven't seen you in a while." Joshua suddenly spoke up.

"Joshua? I haven't seen you in years. What happened to her." Mrs.Lee asked. 

"We went hiking with some friends and in order to save one of our friends she fell down the path .. and now her legs are in this state.."

"WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING?" she screamed. 

"I-I'm sorry. I couldn't do anything." 

Lilly grabbed her moms arms trying to calm her down. "Mom .. I'll be ok. The doctor says I need to take medicine and do physical therapy and I can walk again. Don't yell at him, he didn't do anything wrong. It was my fault." she said innocently. 
"Where's the person you tried to help?" her mom ask. 
"Her name is (y/n).. Joshua's girlfriend." Lilly said. 

"Joshua, you have a girlfriend ?"

Joshua nodded his head. 

"I want to meet her. How could she do this to my child. What type of person is she that you put your own life on the line for?" Mrs.Lee said.