Chapter Thirty-Five

Grace

Flipping through a magazine and doing my best not to gag every time the small child that sat two seats to left sneezed, I wait patiently for Dr. Steed to come back and inform me of Will's condition. I've been sitting in this very uncomfortable chair for the past three hours, two of which were spent waiting and filling out forms before any type of doctor decided to come out and see what's wrong with my boyfriend.

There weren't a lot of people waiting in the seating area, and from what I could tell most of the people who did come walking through those doors were just visitors instead of possible patients. The receptionist was a bit of snob and I found this out when I went to ask for the bathroom key and she gave me a degrading look while she stuck her nose up in the air.

Behind me was a middle aged man who was slurring his words and came in for what I'm guessing is a broken arm from the way it's bent in a weird angle. A lady came in a while ago, screaming in pain and yelling about how she was going into labour – I can still hear her screams whenever I shut my eyes. A teenage boy and girl came in an hour ago around the time Will was sent off for the usual check up and I figured out that the two were siblings when they were arguing if they should call their parents or not.

In the seating area there's about six strangers who came in for an actual body related issue and four were only visitors or family.

As I continue to wait patiently, tapping my foot softly on the floor, the volume on the TV over head on the wall behind me becomes louder. I twist my body so I could see what was happening and a gasp escapes the mouth of the drunk. On the TV the news was playing, and a reporter apologized quickly for interrupting anything we had been doing before watching this.

Apparently there was going to be a snow storm hitting us tonight, just out of Minnesota. Though, I didn't trust the weather people, I was still a little on edge. The little boy who kept sneezing started to complain about how Christmas was ruined and how it was all the 'Grinch's fault'. I didn't know how happy I would be to get out of there until Dr. Steed walks up to me.

On the walk to Will's room where he'll be staying for the time being Dr. Steed begins to explain what's the matter with him. He tells me it was, indeed, a gallbladder attacks and that he's just passing a calcium stone. Some of the information he couldn't tell me because it would break the doctor-patient confidentiality.

When I do get to the room that he's staying in I pause for a second, giving me that short second to ready myself for anything I might see on the other side of the door. But when it opens and I'm stepping inside I find Will playing Blackjack with an elderly woman who lied on the bed besides his.

Looking over my boyfriend I see that he's hooked up to an IV drip. He's wearing a hospital gown, but since one of his legs is sticking out from under the blanket that covers him I see that he's also wearing a pair of sweats. He looks a lot more relaxed then he had a couple of hours ago, but that was probably just because of the pain medication they had put in him. When my eyes take I closer look I see that there's a small cotton ball tapped onto his right arm were they had taken the blood.

He's looking a little pale, but that's most likely from not having anything in his stomach. The tattoo on his arm – that I barely even pay attention to – looks darker on his skin thanks to his pale complexion which makes it sound out more. Once I'm done giving him a once over I walk over to his bedside.

"Hey," I say, and his head turns. As soon as he gets a look of me a wide grin spreads across his face.

"Hey, Gracie," he says back, happily.

"How're you feeling?" I ask, biting my lip as I wait for a response. He holds up a finger, telling me to give him a second as he looks down at his cards and then puts them on the table, flashing the lady to his left a cocky smirk.