Chapter One

[EDITED]

Grace

"Grace, Mr. Harris needs you to sign this," Hayden, my assistant, tells me. I look away from my camera, setting it down on my lap and looking up.

"Pen," I ask, grabbing the clipboard out of his hands, reading over the papers attached to it. A second later a blue pen is in front of me, right near my nose.

"Hayden?" I question, curious as to why his hand was shaking.

"Y-yes, Grace?" He stutters nervously. I look up with my eyes, seeing him shake as he stood there.

"You can let go of the pen," I tell him and quickly the pen is out of his hand and rolling down the clipboard until it meets my hand. Hayden stood still behind me, looking like he was about to pee his pants.

I look away from him, turning my attention to the papers. I sign where I'm supposed to, and then I had the clipboard back over to him. Shaking his head, he leaves, jogging away from me and past other co-workers. I get back to working on my camera, replacing the old batteries with new ones. Looking at the camera my mind drifts off, my hands stop moving, and I'm just sitting there as the memory of being told my sister was dead flashes before my eyes.

I don't why my brain picked that particular memory, but I so wished it hadn't.

"I'm sorry Ms. Thompson, she didn't make it. The treatments weren't helping. The cancer had spread too quickly," his, the doctor's, voice was quiet and every word he spoke came out a whisper.

"You know what, 'sorry' doesn't count! She's dead and it's your fault! You hear me? Your fault! 'sorry' doesn't count!" My voice echoes, bouncing off the walls. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I glance over at the hospital room that was my sister's, the door wide open. In the bed lay a seventeen year old girl, body covered by a sheet as two nurses unplugged the machines by her bedside.

I look back at the doctor, glaring at him.

"It's your entire fault!"

"Grace!" I hear, hands on my shoulders, shaking me.

Being shaken out of my flash back I look around, surprised. My heart beats a little faster at the unexpected force, the person whose hands had just left my shoulders gives out a long sigh.

"Oh, Grace, I thought you would never snap out of it." I slowly turn my head, looking at the man before me. I give the man a soft smile, getting up off my chair and standing up on my own two feet.

"Mr. Harris. Hello." I say, greeting my boss. He gives me a disapproving look, crossing his arms and aiming his index finger at me.

"Young lady, how many times have I told you not to call me Mr. Harris? If I don't call you by your last name, you're not allowed to call me by mine. Understood?"

A dramatic sigh escapes my mouth, "Fine. Hello, Frederick."

Smiling, he asks, "Good. Now, I've heard that you've sign the papers?"

I give him a little nod, raising a curious brow, confused as to what he wanted. He had that glint in his eye that told me he was planning something.