Chapter 10

Kuri lays in bed with a pale face and runny nose as feathers litter the floor and bed randomly. She breathes through her mouth sickly as Mangey pokes her head in, "She still hasn't told us what kind of sickness she has. She gets close to telling us but then she becomes woozy and loses track of what she's saying. She's  dizzy and disoriented and she doesn't know what she's saying."
Kid sighs behind the shapeshifter, "And this started this morning before I came to escort you?"
Mangey sighs, "Yeah. I woke up and she was standing by the window, feathers everywhere, she's molting and growing gray feathers now and Runa says she smells like death. And by death I mean a rotting corpse. Not your father."
"Interesting. Maybe I should try to talk to her. Maybe I can get the info out of her.." The reaper says, walking past her and into the room. The scatter of feathers at random makes him nauseous but he forgets that as he looks up at the sick angel and walks to her bed side, "Kuri. Are you alright? How do you feel?"
Kuri's eyes flick open and her now dulled darker blue eyes slide over to him slowly, "I.... I feel awful..." She says slowly, her words sticking together from the mucus trapped in her throat.
The male sighs and pulls out a sanitizing wipe from his suit pocket, bending over and wiping off her face. He pulls out a tissue from the box on the night stand next to her bed and puts it up to her nose, "Blow please." He says, waiting as she blows her nose to a temporary clean and he tosses the tissue in a trash can next to the night stand. Kid starts combing her bangs and playing with her hair until it looks like it usually does and she almost doesn't look sick despite the pale face and red nose, "There. Now you're clean and symmetrically beautiful again. Much better." He smiles before standing up straight as the angel lays back down, "Now can you tell me what kind of sickness this is?"
Kuri blinks at him, "I-I'm not pretty. Stop complimenting me all the time. I'm not used to it and I'm definitely not worth it."
"I will not stop complimenting your beauty and symmetry now stop fussing about it and tell me what this sickness is. Please, Kuri." The reaper pleads.
Kuri sighs, "It's a sickness that only angels can get. It causes hot flashes, runny nose, headaches, molting and lack of appetite, dizziness and short term memory loss and it......" She spaces out and looks at a random point in the room, going silent and gaining a tired expression, "..........."
Kid tilts his head, "Kuri? Are you alright?"
"Huh? Oh hey, Kid, I didn't even see you there. Need something?" Kuri says, coming back to reality drowsily as she focuses on him.
He sighs, "Oh boy you really are lost. Do you have any way of contacting this Angel Master I've heard about?"
Kuri nods and points to her dresser, "The bubble wand charm. Blow into it."
Kid walks over to the necklace and eyes it, pinching one end of the chain carefully and pulling out another sanitizing wipe, using it to clean the accessory and its charms. He tosses the used wipe in the trash and pinches the bubble wand lifting it, "Hmm..." He positions it by the handle and faces the center of the room, blowing into the tiny wand gently. A bubble comes out and floats before him as the sound of twinkling tiny church bells come from the sphere before an image appears in it.
"Yes, hello, Kuri? Do you need something?" The angel master asks from the bubble.
Kid clears his throat, "Yes we actually need your help. Kuri is terribly sick and we need to know what this sickness is and what we can do for her."
"Oh? That's unfortunate. The only sickness we know of that angels can catch on earth is called Feather's Fever and it eats away at the angel as a soul. The only cure is if you can get her here and I can have an antidote made for her."
"I understand. I'll try to bring her quickly." Kid says glancing at Kuri who has regained a stuffy nose and a more sick look as she sinks into the bed.
"Wait. You're not an angel I'm afraid you won't be permitted in. Unless you have a special pass." Amber says putting her hands together.
Kid pulls out his ID and shows it, "Here's my school ID. And the back shows I'm a member of Lord Death's family." He flips the card over to show the skull and word 'Death' under it almost like a badge.
Amber's eyes widen and she smiles, "Oh that's wonderful. You have access then. You must be his son. He and I are pretty close. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. Be careful with that angel now. I view all angels as my children and I wouldn't want you getting her hurt."
"Of course I'll be gentle with a symmetrical gem such as her. She's wonderful and I wouldn't do anything to get her hurt." He gives a small smile.
Kuri sits up and waves, "Hiiii, Aaaaaambeeeeerrrrrr."
Mangey leans against the door frame as Runa walks over, "Hey. Looks like we might be going to AD again."
Runa then turns around and begins to walk out again. "Frick that, I'm out." Runa says.
"Then you'll have to babysit Kani until we get back."
Runa walks back. "Frick that, I'm in. But I still think that either one is a bad idea."
Mangey chuckles, "Good. We have to help Kuri get to the flight academy to see Amber.
Runa groans. "Why can't we just do what that Mary Popcorn or whatever did? A spoonful of medicine helps the sugar go down, right?"
'She has obviously paid no attention to that movie.' Onami pinches the bridge of her nose.
Kid walks back to Kuri as the bubble pops. He opens the covers and she immediately starts trembling from the cold as he slips his hands under her and helps her to her feet and she becomes dizzy, swaying back and forth, "Come on. I know it's cold and you're tired but I need you to fly for me so we can get you well again. From what I heard this sickness eats an angel from the inside out and we can't have you being eaten." He says putting an arm around her gently and leading her to the door, "All of you will stay here. We don't need to have our weapons for this."
"Whoop! I'm out!" Runa throws her arms in the air and runs off.
The reaper looks to them, "You all can stay at Gallows Manor. There are too many people to be staying in this small house alone."
Runa continues to run off and Liz sees her run down the stairs, "Hey, what's up with her? How is she? Sounds like she's dying... Again."
Runa runs down to the stairs and trips. "OH SH-" she faceplants on the floor.
Kani walks over and pokes her head, "Hey, are you okay, Runa? Please don't be hurt." The small boy says kneeling down to her.
Runa raises her head and rubs it. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." she groans, sitting up.
Kani shuffles over and hugs her arms adorably, "Okay good. I don't want my auntie to be hurt."
Runa's eyes widen to the size of dinner plates. "AUNT?!"
Onami giggles. 'That's kinda cute.'
Kani nuzzles into her as he hugs, "Yup. You're my wonderful auntie and I don't want to ever lose you."
Runa's eye twitches. "Um... that's great... I guess..."
Kani smiles, "Wanna make mac n cheese with me?"
Kid walks down the stairs leading Kuri gently, "Don't start any cooking here now because you're all going to Gallows Manor with Liz and Patty."
"Gallows Manor, eh?" Runa says. "Well, it beats here." She smirks.
Onami looks up at Kuri, 'Is she gonna be alright, symmetrical taco?'
Runa rolls her eyes. "Onami wants to know if Kuri'll be alright."
The angel lifts her head dizzily, "Huh? Wha? I... I think.... What are we talking about again?"
Kid sighs, "I'm worried too. That's why I need to get her to Angel's Domain quickly for the antidote."
Onami looks down and Runa nods briefly. "Sounds legit."
Liz sighs, "Come on guys. We'll lead the way." She walks to the front door and holds it open as Kid leads Kuri outside.
The angel sneezes at the sunlight and squints her eyes, "T-too bright... Too cold..." She trembles moving closer to the reaper and huddling under his arm.
The male looks at her worriedly, "Come on. I need you to fly for me. You put your necklace on right?"
Kuri nods and toys with the charms with her fingers.
"We'll come to Gallows Manor and meet you there."
Mangey gives a thumbs up and looks at Kuri worriedly, "Do what you can."
Runa gives off a light smile. "Onami will beat you to an asymmetrical pulp if you don't make it in time, you know that right?" She says to Kid as the two walk outside. She stands up, unconsciously holding Kani's hand and bringing him up with her.
The small boy looks outside as Kid pulls out his board and steps onto it, "You have to fly into the air with me. Can you do that, Kuri?"
She nods and opens her wings shakily, flapping into the air as the reaper follows behind her. Kuri pulls the pegasus charm from the necklace and lets it go. It flies in a circle in front of them, opening the portal to Angel's Domain. Kuri flies in with Kid, having half open eyes as the reaper eyes her nervously, "I-I feel dizzy.." She says flying upward woozily.
Kid sighs but his breath hitches in his throat when he looks out over the city of Angel's Domain in awe, "It's.... Beautiful... Kuri this is where you stayed for three years?!"
The angel nods drowsily and flies towards the flight academy, landing at the front door where she slides to a stop but continues to run as if still in motion as she runs into a pillar and falls onto her back, "We're..... We're h-heeeerrreee..."
Kid runs over to her and looks down at her, bending over to look her in the face, "Are you alright?" He kneels next to her and lifts her up, "Let's get you inside. You'll have to lead me to where you need to go."
A young lady with short curly orange hair and a witch's hat walks over in a thigh high striped dress. Her wings are white with a tint of purple in the feathers, "You must be here for the antidote. We can't let her near any other angels so come with me to my office."
Kid eyes her and stands in front of Kuri, lifting her and holding her behind him protectively, "Are you a witch? What are you doing in Angel's Domain?"
The woman smiles and looks down, "I'm Margret and yes I used to be a witch. I never wanted to be though. To be hunted. To be seen as evil. None of it was desirable to me. I just wanted to be normal. Please come with me. I'll tell you more about myself on the way."