Chapter 14 - Dinner party

It's been a couple of days since mum got out of the hospital and I'm still trying to take it all in. I mean last week I was empty inside without my parents and now I'm over the moon. Right now I'm in the kitchen making some crumpets for breakfast as everyone walks in.
"Good morning" I say to them. They reply with grumbles and mumbles. I'm the only morning person in my house can you believe that?
"Here have some orange juice it'll wake you all up" I give out three glasses to them.

Breakfast was really boring. I think everyone has gotten used to us being together now that they're acting all normal. I mean, like lazy and tired and how someone would be in the morning. Why am I the only ball of energy then?

I'm watching tv with Borobhiya well actually I'm watching it and he's on his phone.
"Hey" he says
"Hm"
"Zak says we need to go over for a dinner party at theirs"
I quirk an eyebrow.
"Drive all the way to London for dinner?"
"He said that Aunty said that we'll stay over and the next day we'll have it"
"Why?"
"I don't know"
"Call Zachy"

"Hey bro" he says
"Hey Innayah wants to talk to you"
What!
I slap the back if his head.
"I never said that!" I whisper
"Just talk" he whispers back
We fight over who has the phone before he grabs it and puts it next to my ear.
"Hey Zachy" I say forcefully as I glance at my now smirking brother.
"Why did you want to talk to me? Already missing us and my awesome company?" i can practically see the smug smile on his face.
"In your dreams. I want just curious about the dinner party"
"Oh for that you're going to have to talk to mum and Saj"
I hear some shuffling.

"Innu!" Saj's voice bursts through the phone.
"Hii"
"What's going on?"
"What's all this about a dinner party?"
"Oh, well you and Faheem are going to come over and the next day we're going to have a dinner party"
"Who's going to be there?"
"You guys, Zak wants to get Noah, I want some of our friends and mum wants to get her sisters so"
"Saj, isn't that a lot of people" I squirm.
"No, all of us are only getting like two people. You can get some friends too so then all of them are here"
"Hey, can I get a person" Faheem shouts. Saj laughs.
"Yeah" she says.
"Saaaj" I whine
"Innayah. Don't think you'll be able to get out of this because even mum won't let you go"
"But-"
"When Faheem came over he barely stayed for a week and so mum wants to have the dinner party. Please, you can't say no to mum can you?"
After a moments silence of looking at Borobhiya's pleading face I agree.
"Yaaay" she squeals.
"Bye" I say then hang up.

"Now what is wrong with your face?"
"I'm getting Farhan over there" he says
"Will he even come. You know he doesn't like meeting new people"
"That's you" he points out.
"Come on it'll be fun, I'll get to introduce Farhan to the guys and you can do your little girly things like screaming and squealing and giggling"

I grab a pillow and start hitting him. "I don't do that!" I say
He starts laughing but also complaining and pretty soon we're having a pillow fight until mum comes in. Borobhiya throws a pillow at her and the water she was holding falls to the floor.
"Oooooooh you're in trouble" I say
"Faheem! Ongo Mahal. Odekh ketha horsoth. Shidaar shidaa! Thor soke ase ni. Ya mabood Allah." She curses more words in Bengali.
Translation: you idiot. Look at what you've done, you stupid boy. Do you have eyes, look at this mess. Oh my gosh, you're cleaning this up.

"Amma, she started it!"
"She didn't hit me" mum glares
Mum puts the glass away and grabs a pillow. She starts hitting him and chasing him around the room.
"I'm home!" Dad says and I throw a pillow at him.
"You're on Munch" he says to me and we have a small pillow fight.

After an hour our fight stops and we're laying on the sofas tiredly.
"Amma, Aunty wants us to go to London for a few days" Faheem says
"Why?"
"She said that when Borobhiya came he didn't stay for long and so she wants to have a dinner party"
"Then go" dad says
"When?"
"Tonight" mum says
"But" I start
"Here we go" dad says
"Don't tell me she's still scared to talk to people" mum question and Borobhiya nods.
"Hey. It is my nature to be scared of talking to new people"
"Are there going to be any new people"
"Yes. Aunty said she's going to get some guests which means there will be Aunties there"
"So it's not like you're going to hang with them" Borobhiya says
"You are a guy, you have no idea what we go through"
"What do you go through please enlighten me my dear sister" he says
"Well first they either pinch your cheeks or kiss you which means you're going to have to smell Gwua and paan. (Beatle leaf and Beatle nut)"
"I get pinched and kissed to"
"Yeah but at least you can get away from them. I can't and that means they can say all sorts of stuff"
"Innayah I think you're just overreacting"
I glare at him and growl.
"Woah easy tiger" he laughs.
"Innu come on, lets get you packed" mum says eager to take me away from Borobhiya