Chapter 5: Last Minute Chaperone

"What took you so long?" Max asks as we finally meet again.

"I had a lovely encounter with an agent from the Japanese Intelligence." I give him a fake smile so he notices how lovely the moment actually was. He glances behind me to see the chick who pounced on me in the bathroom earlier.

"Mel?" His eyes widens.

"Max?" I hear the agent behind me say. "Arema! (Oh my!) I haven't seen you in so long!" The blonde girl exclaims as she hugs him.

"Wait, what? You know each other?" I point my finger between the two.

"I can't believe it! Last time we saw each other was seven years ago! You've grown into a fine-looking man." She slaps him in the arm playfully. I just realized I have been ignored.

"What are you doing at the airport?" He asks her.

"I'm supposed to be picking up two CIA agents who came for some confidential information we obtained at the honbu. I'm guessing that is you?"

"And me." I wave between them to get noticed. "Hi."

"This is Catrina Martinez, my partner on this trip." Max introduces me although we have kind of already done that.

"We did meet, sorry about earlier." She nods rather respectfully, and I return it just to be polite. Yet, it doesn't mean I won't remain on guard.

"Melody-san!" A girly voice is heard from afar. We turn around and find a girl running towards us. She's quite short, about 4'11", with brown hair at shoulder level. She is wearing a similar uniform as Blondie over here, so I figured right away that she's from the same agency. The only thing I should ask later is why they are from the Japanese Agency when they could pass for Americans.

"Tara-chan, konnichi wa." Agent Parks greets her. "I found them, Agents Max Crawley and Catrina Martinez."

The girl gives me an astonished look and immediately bows shyly. "Ah, konnichi wa! Watashinonamaeha Yamada Tara-desu!"

I tilt my head like a lost pup. "What."

"She doesn't speak Japanese." Max tells her, and she nods in understanding. "Gomen'nasai (Sorry), my name is Tara Yamada. I'm a junior officer at the Naikaku Jōhō Chōsashitsu, the Japanese Cabinet Intelligence and Research agency."

There is a moment of silence between the four of us, until I finally dare myself to ask. "How old and where are you from, little one?" I duck a little to her height and observe her blue eyes closely.

"I'm sixteen. I was born in Osaka, my father is Japanese and my mother is British, if it's regarding the color of my eyes..." She laughs nervously as I stare at her.

"I mean, you do have those Japanese features..." I then look at the other one from head-to-toe.

"I'm American," Blondie blurts out. "I was part of your agency until I made the transfer here since I know Japanese from an early age. I'm twenty-one years old." She steps towards me and squints like she's examining my face this time. "I see, so you're the famous Agent Martinez..."

I raise an eyebrow. "Famous?" I glimpse at Crawley. "You talk about me that much?" He shrugs, apparently not understanding what is going on either.

"Well, you've been the talk lately at our agency. The youngest official member enlisted in the American Central Intelligence Agency, with combat skills that are beyond expertise."

I scratch my neck uncomfortably. "Um, I'm flattered?"

"No problem." She smiles and steps away. "I'll like to see those skills for myself."