Chapter 17: Skipping Beats

Dark and freezing.

That's the only logical way I can describe the water at the moment. I would joke about how my ideas are freezing up in my brain but I'm scared I might die of hypothermia.

I was a bit too naive with the fact that the water was going to diminish the impact and save us from getting shot. However, I completely forgot we are in the middle of December and the water is almost at freezing point.

I barely manage to open my eyes when notice I'm still in the car. Shit, that's right I need to act quick.

I remove my seatbelt and turn quickly to my left, finding Harry who ended up unconscious from the ultimate shock. This fucking idiot. I shake my head in disbelief.

Trying to hold my breath as much as possible, I move quickly to his side, removing his belt, turning him around, and grabbing him from the back. It will be easier and less awkward if he wakes up midway through the rescue.

As I manage to get him out through the opened window, I look around in case I forget something and head out. In the process, I slam my head on the top frame of the door. For fuck's sake, that hurts.

I got no time to complain as I see Harry's body floating away. I swim quickly towards him and grab him again. With the strength I have left, I pull him along to the surface.

There's a nice wave of relief once I can finally breathe again. It's freezing outside, comparing to the cold water I have grown accustomed to, but this is ten times better than drowning.

I search my limited surroundings, and see I only have the choice of getting on a rock-- Wait, is that a cave?

I am not sure why I have suddenly recalled a lesson I took back in 6th trade science class about the temperature in a cave remaining warm due to the soil. Not sure why I remember that, but I am starting to realize that maybe those useless classes are somewhat helpful when needed.

I doggy-paddle to the closest part of the shore while carrying Styles' body on my back. The hardest part is not swimming with him on my back, but carrying him as we get out of the water. My dress and the tux is soaked, which makes it feel like it weights fifteen more pounds and adds the cherry on top.

"When the fuck are you waking up." I grit my teeth as I carry him.

I lose notion of time but I feel like it took me forever to get into the cave. I am glad we got in just in time before it started sprinkling snow.

I lay his body on the floor and drop myself next to him, huffing from exhaustion. I am amazed that I was able to do that all by myself, so I pat myself in the back. Great job, homie.

I can barely see anything with the light the full moon offers tonight.

I scan my dress' pocket to check if my phone is with me, and just my luck, it is still there. Roseline has mentioned that it's waterproof, so I pray it works so I can use some light and figure out what to do.

The screen turns on well, so I proceed in checking for the flashlight, feeling anxious as chances become slim for it to work. However, when I click it, I get instantly blinded by the LED light.

"Look at me being so lucky lately." I mention it out loud, in hopes that this idiot fainted next to me could answer back.

I point the light at Curly Fries who seems to be soundly sleeping. There's no snoring or anything, which I'm amazed myself, over the past year he has improved in the sleeping department.

Wait, no. Something isn't right.

His lips are purple.

"Oh shit." I leave the phone next to him and move over to his side, immediately pressing two fingers on his neck side to check his pulse.