Chapter 16: Fasten Your Belt

We run through the woods, escaping from the men that were sent to chase us. I throw my heels in a bush so I could come get them later.

If we can get out of this alive.

"Don't your feet hurt?" Harry asks between pants.

"I can't run with heels." I reply, finally reaching one of the valet parking lots. I tell Harry to kneel down and follow me as we hide behind a car. I try to open the door of one nice black BMW but of course, it's locked.

I look for a bobby pin somewhere on my elaborated hair and remove it. Unfortunately, my curls are now all over the place, but that pin can be the only thing saving our lives at the moment.

I play along with the lock on the passenger's side and manage to get the door open in a few seconds. However, The alarm turns on.

Seems that luck is on my side tonight.

I grab my phone and get the 'shut-off' gadget, a small magical thing Roseline taught me in my trainee days in order to disconnect car alarms. Once the alarm stops, I signal to Harry. "Get in quick."

He is too shook to speak, but follows my instructions. I notice on the side of the driver seat that there are mafiosi already visible, which means I might be seen if I get in the car from the other side.

"I'll need to pass over you." I whisper. Before he can whine, I'm already in the process of reaching the driver seat. I stop midway to quickly close the door so the light inside the car turns off.

I try to not get hypnotized by Curly Fries' scent because holy fuck he smells too good.

"What cologne do you wear?"

"Armani, why?"

"Nothing, just wondering." Because boy, you smell majestically. I finish the sentence in my thoughts.

I finally sit on the driver's seat and give my thanks -- even though I'm not that religious -- to the Lord almighty that the car is brand new and a button is all it takes to turn on the engine instead of a key.

The car turns on, and I have never felt so happy in years. We had one practice at the agency where we try to turn the engines of cars without the correspondent key. I almost passed it if it wasn't for the alarm that went off, causing me to fail the exam. If that had happened here, we were dead meat.

"You sure you don't want me to drive?" He asks me as I put my seat belt on.

"I have my permit."

"Permit?" He sounds worried.

"I never really got the chance to get my license." I shrug.

"I'm sorry, did I just hear you correctly?"

"I got no time to practice." A silence creeps in the air as I finish that sentence.

He grabs his seat belt in less than a second and adjusts it tightly. "Why can't this get more tightened?"

I roll my eyes. "Chill, I know which pedal is accelerator... The one in the left side, right?"

He glares at me immediately. "Let's switch, I can't take this."

"I'm joking, I know how to drive. I'm a Mario Kart master."

"Stop."

"Lighten up a bit, now give me your tux." He doesn't fight back as he's been trying to for the past few minutes, which I'm honestly glad because I don't need any of that at the moment. I put it on and knot my hair loose with the Bobby pins I had left.