Chapter 18 - Lightweight

When I wake up it's a little past 6am. I look beside me to see Zayn still asleep, today I have to head back to the X factor house to get ready for the live show. Just as I zip my bag closed Zayn opens his eyes lazily.

"What're you doing." He asks in a raspy voice.

"I have to go back to the X factor today. Cheryl called me last night." I tell him quietly. I kneel in front of zayns bed and look at him when he turns onto his right side to face me.

"Don't go." He pleads softly.

"I have to." I reply. "It's time for me to go back."

"I need you here." Zayn says, he sits up and the bed sheet falls, unveiling his bare chest.

"I can mess this up, Zayn. You know that. I'm not only doing this for Riley and Lucas anymore. I'm doing this for me, I want this." I explain to him. He looks me straight in the eyes before laying back down.

"Then go." He says.

"Zayn." I sigh.

"If you're gonna leave, go now. I'll be back later." Zayn tells me.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as he rolls onto his left side to face the wall. I get up and sling my bag over my shoulder, slipping on my sunglasses. I get to the front door and pull on my shoes.

"Leaving so soon?" Zayn's mum, Trisha asks me. She has an apron on that is covered in flour and her hair is up in a bun.

"Umm yea, Cheryl called, she wants me back to practice. The live show is tomorrow after all." I reply.

"I heard you and Zayn talking. Paper thin walls." She tells me with a small frown. "He doesn't mean it, he's just taking his grandfathers death."

"It's okay. I get it. I'm just going to be headed out. It was nice to see you again. Tell the girls I hope to see them again soon." She comes over and pulls me into a side hug and waves goodbye as I pull out of the driveway. I make it back to the X Factor house and see Cheryl pulling up with Simon.

"Good afternoon." Simon says to me and smiles.

"Sure it is." I mutter and smile at him with a nod.

"Do you happen to know when Zayn is coming back? I know you went to go see your uncle while he's on his honey moon but you and Zayn are close." Simon says, you can tell he knows I didn't go see my uncle.

"I know you know. And all Zayn said when I left this morning was that he'd be back later. Whatever later means." I inform him.

"Could you give him a call, if One Direction is going to have a chance this week we need him to get in some rehearsal." Simon asks with hopeful eyes.

"Umm, I'm not sure I'm the best person to call him right now." I reply and look down at the ground. "I'll ask Niall to give him a call."

"Okay." Simon says and Cheryl cuts him off before he can ask anything else.

"Let's go practice Hun." She puts her arm around my shoulders and we walk inside. "I was thinking that we should change the song choice."

"Okay." I agree.

"Do you have anymore songs that you've written?" She asks and I nod. I head upstairs and grab my notebook, placing it on the piano when I get to the practice room. Cheryl flips through some of the songs, skimming through the lyrics and she calls for Simon who walks in with 4/5 of One Direction. "Do you think she could do this with the emotion she needs to get the votes?"

"This is the side of her you need." Simon says and points to the one song Cheryl has her finger on. "The vulnerable side will win everyone over."

"Oh umm, Niall?" I turn, facing him and he looks up from his phone.