Chapter 22 - Thank You

"What did Mr. Maine do to you?" I was put on the stand right away. They put me under oath and started firing questions at me.

"When you're 16 years old you're supposed to be worrying about first dates and boys not if he's going to come into your bed that night. You're not supposed to be terrified to be in your own home. I had the perfect boyfriend, I had everything but he took that away from me the first time he came into my room." I say. "Life is one thing and then it hanged in a single second."

"What are you trying to say Miss. Maine?" The judge asks before the lawyer can speak.

"He raped me, more than once." I play with my fingers and glance over at my father. "He was supposed to be my father, keeping me from all harm and scaring away the monsters but he was the monster in the story. He abused me to the point where I was in the hospital, more than once. I have the scars to prove every time that he burned me so bad that it left a mark. He took a poker from the flames of the fireplace and laid it across my back more than once. When he left my mother and I after I decided to fight back one time, he planned to kill me ever since. He didn't kill me, he killed my best friend and her brother, the only ones I had left."

"Thank you, Mr. Maine, can you take the stand please." I walk back to my seat beside Zayn and pass my father on the way.

"Mr. Maine, is any of what your daughter says true?" The lawyer asks him. "Let me remind you that you're under oath."

"No, it is not true." I can't help but stand up, pissed off.

"It's not true? You know what you did to me. I'm terrified of you, you haunt me everyday. If you ever cared about me, at all you'll tell the truth." I almost yell at him. The judge gives me a look to sit down but I don't, listening to what my father has to say next.

"I'm not lying I never did anything you said." I sigh and take my jacket off, resting it on my seat. I turn around to face the judge and pull up the back of my shirt high enough so that she could see the burn marks. I let go of my shirt and move my hair to my right shoulder. I take the strap that rest on my left shoulder and pull it down my arm enough so you can see even more of the burns. I turn back around, letting my hair cover my back and look at my father in the eye.

"Now are you going to deny it. You used to call it your masterpiece." I say and he has a proud look in his eyes, not of me but of what he's done. I take my seat after slipping my jacket back on and cross my legs, trying to get comfortable.

"I've heard enough." The judge says, she looks down at the papers in front of her and then calls my mother to the stand. I hold my breath when I see her, she's changed, she looks happy now. I grab Zayn's hand and he starts running his thumb across the top of my hand, trying to calm me down.

"Mrs. Maine-"

"It's Mrs. Garettson now." My mother states, cutting off the lawyer. They put her under oath and start to question her.

"Why did you and Mr. Maine divorce?" They start off.

"He was being abusive, he drove my daughter into drugs, she was starting to take after him in that way." I go to stand up but Zayn stops me.

"He didn't drive me to drugs, that was one thing he didn't do." I whisper to Zayn.

"I know, it's okay." Zayn pressing his lips to my forehead and moves his left arm over my shoulder, taking my left hand in his right hand.

"How badly were you abused?" The lawyer asks.

"I was left with broken ribs and a broken arm." She answers.

"I've heard enough." The judge says and writes something else down on the paper. "Mr. Maine please stand, on a count of abuse to your wife at the time you are found not guilty. On a count of child abuse to daughter Diana Maine, you are found guilty. On count of manslaughter, killing Lucas James you are found guilty, on a count of manslaughter, killing Riley James you are found guilty. On a count of rape to daughter Diana Maine you are found not guilty."