Chapter 3. Blue Eyes

Hey guys :D pic of Marge to the side played by Dolly Parton

not edited

Somehow today I had gotten the day off, much to my dismay. I definitely appreciated Marge's rarely given day-offs, and yet despite them, I found myself wanting to work even more to earn more money. 

 I had shabby little apartment with the living room the size of a cubicle that could only fit a couch and an old TV that sat on an old rusted stand. My bedroom wasn't much bigger. The kitchen was adjacent to the living room and I usually ate there on the counter or on my small brown couch. Could you honestly blame me for wanting to make money?

My job was all I had. I didn't have a fancy education, but that didn't mean I wasn't well educated nor did I disrespect learning. I was a bit of a book worm, and if I could, I'd save up some money to go to the library.  As much as I enjoyed novels that filled my brain with scenarios of different worlds, most of my time was spent at the diner, working day and night.

I sat on my couch and laid back. What could I possibly do today? Rent was due soon and I was barely able to get by last month. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. Soon, my sleep deprivation caught up with me and I was sent into a deep slumber. 

"Mommy?" I asked, squeezing her pinky tighter as we ran through the street. Her sunlight blonde hair whisked past her as she dragged us through the tight alleys of Chicago. Last night's rain left behind it's usual scent, filling my lungs with damp rubber and cement. 

"Mommy, where are we going?" I asked her. She glanced back at me, her blue eyes frantic and nervous. She quickly stopped us and leaned down in front of me. Her curls cascaded in a mess behind her while small spots of sweat formed at the hem of where her red beanie ended.

"It's going to be okay Venus," She whispered, but she sounded like she wasn't talking to me, rather herself. I frowned and noticed the way her shoulders shook, the way the bags under her eyes seemed to age her dramatically.  

"Mommy-" I whined, exhaustion seemed to be nipping at my heels.

"Sh, c'mon honey, we're going to be okay." And with that she turned her back to me and started to walk. "Mommy, slow down!" I whined, begrudgingly trying to keep up with her. A car door slammed from the street over, men beginning to shout.

"Venus, run!" Confusion gripped me, and I was dragged once more, but this time felt more urgent.

I woke with a jolt. I didn't even realize I'd been holding my breath until my lungs started to burn. I looked over at my cracked phone, picked it up and stared at the time. An hour down the drain. I sighed and took a breath, pushing back the memories. I was being ridiculous. I had to find something productive to do with my time.

I frowned. Why not visit the library and see what there is? Sure I couldn't afford books, but no one said I couldn't sit down and read that at my leisure. 

I got up, grabbed my keys from the white counter, and made my way outside. I took a whiff of the cold air and glanced down at my attire. Leggings and a running tank top. It would have to do. Shutting the door, I walked down the steps of my unfortunate looking apartment and began my journey to the book store. 

I walked with my hands swaying at my sides, thinking about my dream and shockingly, Demetri invaded my thoughts. One second I was thinking about my mother dragging me down that old, suffocating alley, and then I'd picture Demetri leading me out. Everything about my mother screamed unpredictable, irresponsible and reckless. The same went for Demetri, but I couldn't help but feel indifferently - like he knew what he was doing.