Chapter 21: Surprise part 1/2

Guys Im' really sorry for the absence it will be more explained in detail at the end of today's chapter so please
be patient! Thank you and without further ado...

The dream leaves me confused and dazed that night. I woke up some time around 4 in the morning, too frazzled to find slumber. Instead, I walked to the kitchen, grabbed a small jar of pickles and watched old Grey's Anatomy re-runs I'd recorded.

Half way through, I found myself nearly falling asleep, that is - until my phone rings. I can't help but jump at the sudden noise despite the ever present silence that loomed and lingered in my living room.

I picked it up, and frowned.

From : Demetri

I didn't dare to open my phone, but I dared to question how on Earth his name had gotten in my contacts. How was that possible? I didn't think I'd ever handed it to him to hold or anything. I was always busy at work, and didn't really have the time to be glancing at my phone often. I didn't leave it at his house ever. This only validates that he's a creep of some sort, much to my dismay that that's what everyone has been telling me the whole time. I can only scoff at my ignorance.

Sure when I was nearly flattened by a truck a couple weeks ago, he'd taken me to his loft and offered me both dinner and his number. I'd never added his number, unsure if he'd even be in my life past that point, yet here he was.

I glanced at the phone once more, and felt my stomach drop. What does he even have to say? Maybe I can strategically plan this. Maybe he doesn't have an Iphone so he can't tell if I read it? I'm not sure, but I can't help but acquiesce to my curiosity.

Unlocking the phone, I read his message.

"You've been doing a fantastic job in avoiding me." I scoff to myself once more. Well I was great at avoiding problems, so why not avoid this one? I noticed the message bars were blue, signifying that he did indeed have an iphone. Wonderful. As if to mock me, a 'read' icon appears at the bottom of my text.

I laid the phone back on the shabby couch and continued to watch Lexi Grey perform her first surgery. She was about to remove some sort of tissue when my phone went off once more. Marred by curiosity, I unlocked the phone and read the message.

"Talk to me." Frowning, I turned the phone face down again. Why was I avoiding him again? Because he keeps secrets, he's dangerous, and literally no one has anything good to say about him other than his looks. My self conscious decided to chime in. I shook my head and ignored another couple buzzes.

After the last one, I looked at my phone, but only for the time. I couldn't keep my eyes from wondering to the four messages. My fingers twitched on the screen, wanting to open them, but I had to rely on strong will.

The more I give in to his messages and contact the weaker I begin to feel. I already know I'm independent, why do I need to prove that? Maybe it's because my independence falters every single time I'm around Demetri. Every single time that he's around, his presence forces me to abandon all my independence.

"This silence is deafening." My eyes wonder below to more of the texts.

"Maybe I'll swing by a minute."

"May or may not be getting into my car right now."

"Currently driving over." At the last message, my eyes nearly bugle out of their sockets. I glance at the time. Hell it's 6 now. In the morning. Speaking of mornings; they consist of getting ready, and I am nowhere near presentable.

I pick up the phone and type a fast reply.

"What? No, I'm trying to sleep." Though it's a lie, I don't mind. I open the front camera, only to see some sort of creature with incredibly heavy bags under its eyes and a rats nest of hair. Oh wait, that would be me.