Chapter 28. Crisis

I'm left reeling after going home from the woods.

I was in my room, staring at the wall with my body slumped on the bed. Those huge paws and the claws that followed the fur; those piercing eyes. I watched his body contort and twist in ways that someone's body shouldn't contort or twist. 

His skin was replaced by thick, black fur. I put my hands to my face and took a deep breath.

Everything really is different now. I rub my face trying to relieve my stress. 

What scared me the most was he didn't even terrify as much as I thought he would. What scared me was how much more real the situation now was.

I keep seeing his bones cracking underneath his skin, forcing themselves into new positions. I close my eyes again, knowing sleep won't come. 

 I can't wrap my head around the fact that I've been descended from what werewolves believe to be a Moon Goddess. I can't wrap my head around the fact that werewolves exist. People with magical powers, prophetic dreams...it's all so much I don't know how I'm supposed to be okay with all of this.

Before I realize what I'm doing, I'm calling Will. He's the only ounce of normal there is in this absurd town, and I could use normal.

"Hey, what's up?" He asks on the other line.

"Want to get drunk?" 

I can basically hear him smiling on the other line. "It just so happens I'm off in an hour. I can bring the alcohol. Want me to grab anything else?" He asks. I sigh. "Some ice cream please. Anything chocolate or peanut butter."

"You got it, Boss," He says. I force a chuckle before I hang up. As I'm about to set my phone down, it buzzes.

"Come to a decision yet? Time is running out. You have three days

-L.S."

My heart freezes and I want to vomit. I don't want to think about this deal, whatsoever.  I know I can't avoid it forever, and I know I'll have to think more about it. Yet, with Will coming over, I wanted to forget. I wanted to forget everything. Werewolves, Peacekeepers, scary underground governments, prophecies -- lies. I wanted a night to be the me before I had ever met Demetri. 

I look at my phone again, considering calling Moira. I felt guilt gnawing at my stomach, but she was everything I wanted to avoid right now. I kept telling myself that I was justified in leaving her out, but another part of me was glaring at myself with scorn. It had always been the three of us, but was it really? Wasn't it only just Moira? She lied to me and Will, kept secrets from us. But could I also blame her? 

My head was so all over the place, with so many different topics flying through my brain. Finally, a knock sounded on the door.

I glanced, once again, at my phone. Odd, it had only been a half hour.

I went to the door, taking a minute to remember that it was once flying off its hinges not too long ago by men in black getups. I frowned, but forced my happy face to wriggle its way back on. 

I opened the door, only to see a woman with blonde hair and dark makeup. I pursed my lips. "Um, can I help you?" I asked.

"Looks like you've fixed the place up a bit," She said, eyeing the door. She's in all black, wearing a latex high-low dress with what could be described as "hooker boots". I feel my stomach twist.

"I think you have the wrong address-" I try to close the door but she palms it before it can slam. 

"You may be human, but you have some nerve." She lets herself in, a wry smile on her thin lips. I gape at her.

"Did you get your window fixed as well?" 

I don't move, and I'm holding my breath.

"Too bad, I really did shatter it to bits. More fun that way." She walks around my living room, judging everything in its place. 

"Who are you?" I ask, balling my fists at my side.

"Well how rude of Demetri's to not introduce me. Afterall, it's not like we had bad sex or anything?" She nonchalantly announces, keeping her back to me.

I felt my blood broil within my veins, and I just wanted to attack her. 

"I'm Morgiana," She says, turning around, her smile gone and her ice blue eyes penetrating.

Why does the name sound so familiar? Maybe Demetri mentioned her, yet with everything that's been going on lately I suppose it's possible I forgot. 

"Oh well now I'm just offended," She says with a scoff. "I don't like being forgotten, but I'll make sure you won't forget."

She lifts up her hands, palms facing up, where her fingers then curl. She's looking at me daringly with a smirk.

Suddenly, I feel it getting harder to breathe. "What are you doing?" I wheeze, and grasp at my throat with my fingers. It feels like I'm under water! My lungs burn and I can hardly catch my breath.

"At a loss for words are we? Good, I love to monologue. As a Peacekeeper, it is my duty to ensure that you choose a pack to protect by the final battle." 

I fall to my knees, my vision blurring in and out, and I can't even force an ounce of air into my body. "Please!" My voice comes out hoarsely.

She ignores me like I'm not there and continues to walk around the room as I feel my death coming closer. "So, if you're planning on running, or avoiding the situation altogether, just know that the council knows who you are and where you live. We'll always-"

My heart is thrumming and my body aches with fire as I'm in and out of consciousness. 

"Know how to find you." 

As my vision returns, she kneels down and I can see her skanky leather boot at my face. "Give Demetri and Reese my love," She says, and all of the sudden I can breathe again. I cough and sputter, unaware of how to react. When I look at her, her eyes glower before she vanishes.