Chapter 22. Awakened

LETS FUCKING GOOOOO

QOTD: What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?

AOTD: No fuckin idea that's what.

We all stared at one another, waiting. The air had gone still, stagnant even, as we waited for someone to begin with the truth-telling process.

"Like destiny?"

"Yes, exactly that. Do you believe in stars writing out your future?" Reese asked, raising his eyebrows. I thought about it, confused. Did the stars plan for me to be a runaway at 16? Did they plan for me to be stuck in this situation where I was the odd-man-out?

"I don't know much about the stars or fate, but I do believe in human choice."

"I was hoping you'd say yes," Reese said, disappointment clouding his eyes. I shrugged. "I could lie, but then I'd be just like the rest of you." The words came out before I could stop them, yet they were justified no matter what.

"I don't know where to begin, we weren't planning on telling you these things, so forgive me. I'm a bit unrehearsed," Reese tried to lighten the mood, which although I appreciated it, I couldn't find it in me to smile.

"Maybe you can just show her, instead of telling her," Demetri said with a flat stare, crossing his arms and leaning against the counter.

"It's against the rules," Moira said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Fuck the rules, we're this deep in. She's already been Corrupted," Demetri added with the roll of his eyes. His stare softened once our eyes met, but I couldn't stand to look at him. He was a liar, and I should have known better. Staring at him makes me hate myself even more.

"I suppose when you put it that way. Venus, I told you my job was to keep peace among businessman. Do you remember?"

I vaguely remember that night at the bar when I had first met Moira's new boyfriend.

"Yeah, there's more to it I'm assuming." Reese nodded.

Demetri let out a ghost of a smile from the corner of my eye. Yet it would take a lot more than that for me to feel the butterflies in my stomach once again.

"Demetri is what we refer to as an Alpha, and so is Brooke's dad, Landon Silver. Do you know what an Alpha is?"

I narrowed my eyes at Reese. Although I had no clue where this was going, I hated being talked down to. "It can be used as a greek letter, or packing order. Why are they called that?"

It then dawned me that there was so much that I didn't know, and it began to overwhelm me. I looked at Demetri, feeling like an idiot for believing I could trust him. Why, why did I do this to myself? Marge warned me, and although she was right I didn't listen. Then there was Moira, what did I know about her? When I'd spoken with Will about not knowing about the townspeople, I genuinely thought that keeping my nose out of their lives was for the best. And yet, all that has done is the opposite to me.

I had tried so hard to make everything black and white. Don't ask questions, and you'll get no lies, as Great Expectations had taught me. But instead, I asked nothing, and was already getting lied to.

"Show her. There's no easy way to describe what we are, and she'll never believe us. She has to see it for herself. Either you do it your way, or I do it mine," Demetri snapped, his hands gripping the counter.

"Fine!" Reese retorted. "Come here," He ordered me. I looked to Demetri for permission, but then mentally slapped myself. I didn't need his approval, I could do this on my own. He wasn't what I needed to rely on for safety.