Chapter 4. Letters

Hey guys, I hope you are liking this book so far, I'd love to continue writing it if I get positive feed back! Pic of Demetri to the side played by Matt Bomer

Idk why but I always really like my chapter titles xD

not edited

I didn't hesitate to openly ogle the beautiful plate of spaghetti in front of me. Everything I touched when it came to food, usually ended up burnt, overcooked or spilled - which was another reason Marge didn't let me into the cooker's kitchen.

Demetri popped a meatball into his mouth and took a quick swig of his water, watching me. I shivered under his harsh gaze and picked up the cold metal fork to my right and went for the kill.

I closed my eyes, tangy lemon and red sauce dancing on my tongue. "This is so good," I muttered after swallowing. Demetri's eyes wrinkled in satisfaction.

"How'd you learn how to make this?" I asked. He let out a small chuckle after I forced another mouthful down my throat.

"It's really just pasta and meatballs, but my brother loved cooking and so did my mom. We're Italian and our close relatives used to come over a lot from Sicily and make us old dishes from their culture."

I closed my eyes and pictured Italy in all its glory. If I had money, I'd definitely go there.

"That sounds cool. I can make ramen noodles, and pour water into a cup with very small percentages of spilling," I replied with a grin. He laughed. I stared at him as he did so. He leaned his head back as light hearted sounds left his mouth. He seemed so much more . . . vulnerable when he was carefree, and something told me he wasn't like this very often.

"Sounds like the perfect meal," He said. I smiled and continued to eat.

"So," I said after a moment of brief silence. "Where's your brother and mom now? If you don't mind me asking," I said while taking a sip of some water to my left.

Demetri's demeanor changed in an instant, as if sunshine had gone and the rain had come to stay, bringing dark shadows of clouds. Examining his mood change, I sat still, feeling the tension as thick as fog in the air.

"Both passed away," He said with a distant eyes. He glared at his food, twirling a noodle around with his fork.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No," his eyes snapped up at mine, "you didn't know, it's not a big deal Venus."

I frowned, hoping I hadn't crossed any boundaries. He stayed silent, as did I. I finished my pasta in an awkward silence.

I couldn't help but want to know more about his brother and his mom. What happened to them? How did they pass away and when? I knew it'd be absurd to even ask, for we didn't even know each other that well, yet here I was, eating food in his "home" after I almost got flattened by a truck. Despite the fact I barely knew much about him and Marge warned me he was trouble.

I knew he was trouble. I could feel it seeping into my veins as it seemed to radiate around the room in waves. However, what was more alarming was the fact I didn't feel scared. Curious and maybe a little intimidated, yes, but afraid? I didn't think that was the right word. Everything about him seemed to frighten others, and I could most definitely understand why.

He was authoritative, semi cranky, held a strong personality and the looks to match. But why was when he was laughing did he seem like quite the opposite? He was different, and that's the only thing I could think of to describe him.

"I better get going, I have another meeting. I'll drive you home," Demetri suddenly spoke, breaking our silence. I squirmed lightly in my seat.

"You don't have to, I can walk it's not far."