Chapter Twenty Eight

I stood staring at myself in the mirror, the long while gown flowing down my body made me feel like a princess, ok well maybe not exactly like a princess.

More so a girl who had found happiness with the guy of her dreams.

“it's perfect Lilly” Emma gushed stepping closer, she was dressed in her light pink dress, it was simply stunning on her.

I didn't want an overly huge dress, just something simple and sweet.

The first dress I tried on and I loved it, it fit perfectly and hopefully Alex loved it as much as I did.

“this is the one” I beamed looking at the lady who had picked out a rack of dresses.

She tapped her chin, stepping closer towards me “are you sure, there are others here”

I shook my head “no these two are our dresses”

She nodded and led me back to the dressing room, helping me get undressed.

Twenty minutes later I had paid for them and we were on our way to get shoes and other small things.

“soooo” Emma dragged out the word “how's you and Alex?” she then rushed those words out of her trap.

The fight Alex and I had the other night wasn't that bad, well it wasn't until I threatened to leave him and move out.

He took off without a word and went to work.

I didn't hear from him until the next morning when he walked in the bedroom with a huge bunch of lilies and a box of truffle chocolates.

“we're good” I answered keeping my eyes ahead.

And we were good, I mean we didn't really talk about it when he got home, we both said sorry and that was it, we made up and he hadn't brought up the house idea again.

“cool, so how much longer do you have for your break?”

I checked my watch, shit it took forty minutes in that bridal shop “twenty”

I was back at work, I guess I needed to be and I wanted to be here, I loved doing what I did each day, and being away from it for so long made me realise I could never give it up for that long again.

Well maybe two weeks the most, we were going back to our old home town for the wedding and were going a few days earlier, we had to set things up and meet with the celebrant.

Alex's mum was calling him non stop, begging us to let her plan the wedding, but like he said, if she had it her way there would be horses everywhere and we'd be standing inside a barn wearing cowboy boots and hats.

“are you nervous?” Emma questioned

“not really, I mean we watch it each night so how different could it be from that?” I asked.

Yes I was going to watch Alex perform, well I won't even try to say that work because I cant, I will stick to heart transplant.

I was actually freaking out on the inside, the plus was that Josh would be with me the whole time, it could take anywhere between four to twelve hours, Alex had to stand for that long.

I can barely stand for an hour in the same spot without getting restless.

“want me to do your nails?” I asked her, she wasn't working today and I wasn't busy all afternoon.

“sure, can you do those ones I like?” she was referring to the glitter line between the white and pink section of the nail.

“course I will, come on let's go in here”

“so I overheard Josh and Alex talking last night” Emma spoke as I filed her nails down “I don't know if I should tell you though”

I looked up and was now interested in whatever it was she had to say “talk”

“Alex brought your parents old house”

“what?” I gasped “when?”

“not sure, but Josh seemed happy about it” she shrugged.

So that's why he was being sweet all week, always agreeing with me and being attentive, he was sucking up.

I didn't know what to think, that house was my childhood home but I had a home here, I didn't want to move back there.

Emma was staring at her nails “I love them”

“same, the black looks good on you” I smiled doing the last coat of gold sparkle.

“who are you inviting to the wedding?”

“oh fuck I didn't think about that part, I was just inviting you” I put the polish on the shelf and started laughing “it will just be me and you there”

Maybe I should have considered that beforehand, oh god who the hell was going to walk me down the isle? I was going to be a lone bride.

My own wedding was going to be more Alex's wedding and filled with his family and friends, I had friends but none that I ever hung out with.

Josh was waiting for me at the front of the hospital, I had a fake smile plastered across my face because from watching greys anatomy the seemed to think that being upset or annoed with your loved one before they did a big surgery could effect them.

And I definitely didn't want that to happen.

“hey brother” I smiled, he was in his white coat and dark blue scrubs.

He stopped walking and seemed to have realised what I called him, I hadn't really acknowledged him as my brother much, I needed to make more time for him.

“where is Alex?” I asked feeling my nerves pick up, I placed my hand over his pulling him to a stop before we got into the elevator “maybe I should go, I mean this is just weird being here right?”

“what, course not, he's pretty stoked your going to be here” Josh started walking again.

“has he seen Jane?” I blurted out getting to the real source of my nerves.

Josh came to a halt and sighed turning around, giving me a apologetic look “yes but it's not what you think, she's his scrub nurse”

“Mc Dreamy slept with his scrub nurse” I whined like a little girl throwing a tantrum.

“Alex is going to marry you Lilly”

Somehow that didn't make me feel any easier, he had been lying to me and working late nights, leaving early in the morning and then bringing me flowers or chocolates each day, don't men do that when they cheat?

Sam had done that, I thought it was sweet at the time but come to think of it those were twice a week, twice a week he was sleeping with my sister.

“fine” I spoke keeping my voice sounding normal, I gave another smile and continued walking with Josh.

Alex was writing on the huge white board when Josh and I got out of the elevator, he looked so handsome standing there, being completely focused on what ever it was that he was writing, he was surrounded by a swarm of other doctors and nurses who was at the big wooden desk chatting about.

When he put the pen back down he glanced towards us and his serious face broke out into a grin “you showed up”

“course I did” I answered shrugging.

“I didn't think you would” he stepped forward and wrapped his arm over my shoulder, leaning down to give me a swift and quick kiss, probably warning all other doctors off me.

“everyone I want you to meet my fiance Lilly” Alex spoke loud and clear, all eyes were now on me.