Chapter 1 - Suicide Spark

It was 2019 I knew that for sure. What day, date, month however? It's hard to tell. While I rode down the boiling desert on my motorbike, my crazy red hair flying in the wind, I don't care what time, date or week it was anyway.

My name is Suicide Spark; I'm 22 years old, I think, and am alone in this now fucked up world. Constantly on the run, but I'll get to that justification soon.

A couple years back a company called Better Living Industries rose to power, taking the world by storm. They inject you with their drugs and force their pills down your throats so humans will be co operative and live life how they want you to. If you're drugged you're basically a goner.

Although the dark lives they lead, there are some people out in this world who keep sane, and fight against these industries. These colourful humans are known as Killjoys. I myself am one of these Killjoys, however like to keep a low profile. While I'm not officially registered on the Killjoy ranks, I lie low and help out when needed. Where as most would find my lonely life style daunting, I have good reason. The lead executive of the BL/I has been out to get me for years now. The moment I started to rebel and started running he wanted my head, four years later to this day he hasn't stopped, and I get the feeling he never will. He goes by many names, but he's most commonly known as "Korse" or "The exterminator."

I was never quite sure why he would always target me as an individual. Sure I've slaughtered several of his beloved dracs and scarecrows, I once even got so far into the city I had a run in with his second command, killing him effortlessly. Despite Korse's longing thirst for my blood, I ran faster and hid harder. I knew I could only do this for so long until I was captured, but for now I simply kept low and did my own thing out here in the Californian desert.

One thing I'm certain of is that the exterminator took my brother away from me. My brother went by Atomic Bomb and was a few years older than me. I've suspected they've killed him, all the clues add up to this conclusion. I've always tried to go back into the city on various occasions to see if he was still there and alive, however after two hard years of trying I've slightly given up. Atomic will always be in my heart, I know if he's still alive fate will bring him and I together once more.

Some may question if I ever get lonely? Truth is I do. Terribly so, the only killjoy's I really come into contact with are the two friendly killjoy's who work at the gas station in zone 4, or the bartenders who would sometime buy me a drink after a long day in zone 2. Sometimes I felt like a feeble 18-year-old killjoy again, tired, cold alone, yet the pros out weighed the cons. Working by myself meant no one could fuck me over and even better; people like Korse can't use people I love against me.

I rode on my chic black motorcycle to match my shiny helmet. I wore mainly black, however for those killjoy's who have heard of me, red was known to be my signature colour. This being proven with my red ray gun, red hair and red eyes to match. The thing is, my eyes have been naturally red my whole life, which can scare the fuck out of some killjoys I part ways with. It's just another mystery the world is yet to figure out about me. To accompany my bright red eyes, comes my shocking red hair. Another mystery. It didn't bother me, although it did make some killjoy's uncomfortable, some say I resemble a vampire with my pale skin and frightening eyes.

Right now I was accelerating through the desert while the sun was setting. I was out getting some gas in zone 4 today so the ride back to zone 6 where I usually take refugee would take ages for me to get to. My poor excuse for a home (more like a shack waiting to collapse on top of me) was located in zone 6 which I was thankful for. Zone 6 was known to be the safest due to it being the furthest away from Battery City where dracs, scarecrows and worse inhabit. 

Back to the occurring problem though, I knew I couldn't drive in the dark, it was far too dangerous. The desert in full sun was dangerous enough, let alone in the dark where dracs come out to play while killjoys try to rest for the night.

I take a sharp right through the middle of the zone I was speeding down, when luckily, a building came into sight. The shithole looks abandoned as far as I can tell. As I approached the run down building, slowing my bike down to check the outskirts of the place, I see the mysterious building must have been a diner back before our world turned to shit. Instead of the letters 'DINER' being placed on top of the building, it read out 'DIE' which made me wonder whether that has been put there on purpose. Checking my surroundings thoroughly, this place looked decent enough to crash for one night.

I parked my motorcycle in a shaded spot beside the backdoor entrance, shaded by a piece of roof skirting. I hoped off, placed my ray gun off safety just in case and held it close as I walked in through the back entrance of the diner. With one kick, I sent the door flying open and walked into the main seating area. Placing my pale hands on my hips I looked around the grotty old place in disgust.

The space was pretty big considering how small and dainty it looked from the outside. I noticed there was a table that sat in the middle of the diner with maps spread out across the top. I then noticed other homely features about the place, how someone's jacket was sprawled out on the back of a chair, how there were various ray guns placed around the joint. It was then I realised I couldn't be alone. Before I could even reach for my ray gun I felt a massive blow to the back of my head, I fell to the ground, my vision slowly blacking out. The last thing I saw before blacking out were navy boots in front of my eyes.