Chapter 29 - Anobrain

Like I predicted before, there were dracs speeding down the motorway, except while they would usually continue on the getaway mile, they all turned off the highway, nearing my old base, making It was obvious they had followed either Party and I or Val Velocity.

Party and I threw ourselves into the trans am, instantly speeding off in the opposite direction of the dracs, following the lead of Val Velocity, who had by now kick started his white motorcycle, matching his leather jacket.

"They fucking followed Val Velocity." Party Poison snarled when we were out of earshot of Val, to which I frowned. It was probably true, yet it could have been Party and I who attracted the chase. Regardless, everything that Val Velocity had just explained to Party Poison and I had kicked me into reality, the reality that these dracs were most likely coming for Val and I.

What I was currently feeling was mostly confusion. Did that make me some part of the Better Living Industries? Am I the living species of everything I've grown to hate? Is Val Velocity even telling the fucking truth most importantly? Sure, most of what he said relates to me, but Party's right. A guy just shows up out of nowhere and claims that I've been created purely by the BL/I? I call bullshit. Until I get more clarity, I'm just gonna' go with the story that I dye my hair and wear contacts.

But at the same time I feel like I can trust Val. Better Living Industries were known to lie- but the sincerity in his voice, and most importantly his own knowledge on the subject, it's hard for me to see Val Velocity being a threat or an enemy. I'm not saying Party and I should take our guard down when we're around the unusual killjoy, just be wary.

Party floored on the gas, following close behind Val Velocity. I didn't know where Val was planning on going. He gave no instruction to us, leaving us both utterly clueless, Party and I guessed we'd follow him, it was our only current option, if the base in zone 6 was being raided, then our best bet at staying safe was following Val Velocity. Looking in the rear view mirrors, as far as I could see, there were no BL/I cars on our tail. Yet.

I felt like the scum of the earth. Not only had I put all my friend's lives in danger, I'm now apparently apart of the BL/I. I am the living embodiment of everything I hate.

A lump formed in my throat when I realised that Party must fucking hate me right now. His brother and closest friends were back at the diner, if anything happened to the team I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I didn't dare take any side-glance at Party; I was so scared to know what he was thinking. I wondered for a while what Party currently thought of me. What I've learnt from being around Party Poison is that he more or less wore his heart on his sleeve, sure he doesn't talk about his past that often, but when it comes to what he's feeling, he's always been nothing but open to me. His current silence spoke louder then any words could. I stayed relatively quiet until it was practically killing me not to ask.

"W-What do you think about all this?" I threw the question out into the open, keeping my eyes fixed on the road in front of us. My sentence came out stuttered and weak, yet I tried to not let it phase me. Although, there was no point in trying to convince Party I was strong and able to cope, because in reality I wasn't.

When I looked up unsure at Party Poison, I was met with his softened hazel eyes for a few seconds, before he was forced to turning back to the road ahead.

"Whaddya' mean sunshine?"

"What Val was saying about me."

Party didn't speak for a few moments, swimming in his own thoughts no doubt. I studied his face, his face was solemn and he looked worn out from all of this, which is understandable because so did I.

"Do you remember the first time we met?" Party glanced at me for a few seconds, a blank expression on his face.

"How could I forget?" A grin formed on Party's face from my words.

"You were so desolate, so set on being by yourself. You were unlike any girl I've ever met out here in the zones, and I was instantly drawn to you." I felt myself smiling, listening to Party rant about the first time we met each other.

"You weren't scared of me and the guys, and then dracs ambushed the diner and you saved my life. Spark?" Party spoke my name softly, causing me to look up at him. Party had to focus on the road, but quickly shared a sideway glance with me, a small smile occupying his features.

"You've been saving my life ever since that day sunshine. When you got taken into the Better Living Industries I was heartbroken, the guys were convinced you were gone but I just couldn't bring myself to believe it, I was a wreck with out you. It was utterly pathetic. I hated it. But I couldn't help it, how could I, the notorious Party Poison shut down because of one girl?" Party chuckled.

"I realised you were the one keeping me stronger, when I'm with you I want to fight. I want to end the Better Living Industries; I want to keep waking up every morning to fight. I want things to be better, because Suicide Spark, or Willow Lamont... I love you. It's always been you, you're my only reason."

Party's words made my vision blurry from tears, a few fell down my cheek, and as soon as Party saw he took his free hand in mine, intertwining it tightly.

"I love you too Party Poison- or Gerard. And I swear to god I'm not crying it's just raining on my face." I said looking up in attempts to stop the embarrassing tears of happiness from falling.

Party chuckled, giving my hand a tight, reassuring squeeze. "It doesn't rain in the desert, Sunshine. And you don't believe in God."

Party and I laughed together, he didn't move his hand away from my small one, instead he kept it firmly placed within mine.

"So you don't care what I am?" Party Poison shook his head, stroking his thumb lightly against my hand.

"I don't give a fuck what you are, sunshine. I don't care, because I'm so in love with you I don't think I could stop if I tried." I smiled, looking down into my lap. "Good to know."

It felt good finally getting all this off my chest, it was true after all. I was in love with Party Poison, having realised when I got captured, it was definite feelings I had for the redhead.

The draculoids ceased following us early into the chase, which was most unusual. However neither Party or I questioned it, we simply followed wherever Val Velocity was heading. I felt somewhat calm again, when a feeling of guilt washed over me.

"Party... What if Val's right and the base is being raided?" I stuttered out the sentence, it was my entire fault if they currently were being ambushed. Party kept his eyes on the dusty road, smirking slightly.

"They aint' called the fabulous killjoys for nothing. Kobra, Jet and Ghoul can definitely take care of it. Show Pony and Palma Violence are just as skilled in combat, and missile kid knows how to shoot a gun- barely. But at least is something, I'm not too worried." Party calmly explained, which did make me feel a bit better.

Several minutes passed in silence, like most of Party and I's silences however, it wasn't awkward or weird. If anything it was peaceful.

"I mean it you know." I spoke my words just above a whisper.

"What's that sunshine?"

"I truly do love you, Party Poison, and I was worried you'd hate me for all of this." I blurted out.

"Oh, Sunshine." Party chuckled. "It should be obvious now, nothing could make me hate you." Party smiled, looking at me briefly, rubbing his thumb up and down my pale hand once more.

Party continued to travel at a quick pace. I sat in the passenger seat feeling lighter, like a confession has been lifted off my chest, filling me with some newfound freedom. In this dark time of being on the run, at least I had Party Poison, and Party had me.

For now, that is.