Chapter 8 - The Ghost Of You

Fine was the fucking understatement of the year. As soon as I knocked on the door I was met by the familiar hazel eyes. Without a word Party stepped out of the way, allowing me access into his room. The atmosphere in the room was so weird and I couldn't handle it. This shit right here was another golden reason why I preferred to work alone, none of this bullshit awkward silences and fighting.

With out any words, and a few awkward moments of eye contact, Party and I stripped down and got into bed. Fuck this was awkward.

"Spark look, I didn't mean to snap like that." Party broke the unbearable silence. "I just couldn't live with myself if Korse came back and harmed any of my friends, my brother Spark." His voice cracked as the thought of loosing Kobra Kid no doubt crossed his mind.

"I understand." I whispered. I suddenly felt a wave of emotions crash over me at once; I completely forgot what it felt like to fight for someone who shared your blood. Since Atomic's been gone, I forgot the feeling of wanting to fight in this world for someone. After a few more moments of silence, I decided to do something very out of character for me.

"They took my brother." I admitted quietly, now lying on my back, my gaze directed at the dark ceiling above Party and I. When Party didn't say anything, I decided to continue the story. I don't know what this rush of courage came from to talk about my past, it wasn't something I did often, in fact, I don't think I've broken the silence of my past to anyone. Ever.

"The Better Living Industries took him away from me. I guess I can understand why you would want to keep Kobra safe. What I felt when he was gone, it felt like he had died. He probably has in there care anyway." I spoke, the memories replaying in my head like a horror movie scene. I decided to spare Party the details, the memories replaying.

We were hopelessly outnumbered, although we weren't in the killjoy ranks, if Atomic and I were ever outnumbered we would call Dr. Death Defying for extra back up, help would come quick enough, Dr. D and my brother were allies, and has a mutual respect. However, this time was different. We couldn't get to the transmission on time, which is when Korse came into the mix. A drac shot me in the fucking leg, and a dracs stun gun stunned Atomic. I could escape and fix my wound; there was no way I could get my brother to safety though. He squirmed in the sand; all the dracs and Korse had him surrounded, while I still tried to put up a fight. The situation was weird, the exterminator and the dracs where more focused on capturing my brother, it's almost as if they let me go. It was do or die, I saw the opportunity and struggled myself onto Atomics' motorbike, leaving him. It fucking pains me to say I left him, my poor big brother. But I know he would have wanted at least one of us to get out of the scene alive, it just unfortunately had to be me. I was the weaker one out of us two, in battles Atomic would be the one doing the heavy lifting, he would always be the one to find shelter, food, gas, whatever. I was able to cope, but barely. Sometimes I wished and prayed I was the one captured, I knew Atomic could have busted me out of BL/I, where as I could never get to him. Sure I was a good aim and could handle this fucked world by myself, but I knew Atomic should have been the one out here in the desert today. No way should it be me.

"That's absolutely awful. I'm so sorry Spark." Party whispered genuinely, breaking me out of my disturbing memories. By now there were tears sliding down my cheeks, I sniffled and wiped them away. At the sound of my sniffling Party became somewhat protective.

"Whoa, whoa, Spark, are you crying?" Party asked moving closer to me.

"Sorry." I instantly felt stupid. Party leaned his hand up and wiped the tears away from my eyes. I could only barely see his hazel eyes staring into mine, his outline becoming clearer as my eyes adjusted to the dark room.

"It's okay to be weak sometimes, just don't show it to the enemy. I'm always here for ya' Spark, I know you don't want to, but you can trust me." Party said brushing my wavy hair out of my face. I smiled, it was a weak smile but it was a true one.

"Thank you Party Poison, I appreciate it." I said heaving a sigh, going to lie back down on my back, returning to staring at the sky.

"That's why the bike means so much to me you know." I admitted while glancing at Party Poison, who was now lying on his side looking intently at me. "It was my brother's bike, it's the only thing I have of his to prove he once used to roam the desert."

"We'll get it fixed as soon as possible. I promise." Party Poison spoke determined.

"Thanks again Party, and sorry about the whole thing today. I don't know what the fuck Korse wants from me, and that scared the shit out of me." I opened up again, fear corrupting me.

"I'm not letting that motherfucker anywhere near you, I swear to fuckin god sunshine." Party vowed which caused a light chuckle to fall from my lips.

"I don't believe in god, but I appreciate what you're saying. Thanks Party." I spoke tiredly, a newfound hope placed in the back of my mind.

"Well I don't believe in luck, but sometimes you just gotta' believe you're the enemy." Party said while yawning, us both lacking sleep sorely catching up to us. I didn't quite understand what Party meant by believing we're the enemy, but I just went with it.

"Ever been to The Triffid before?" Party asked after a couple more moments of silence.

The Triffid was like a killjoy nightclub scene, where killjoys usually went to drink, dance, listen to some good music with good company. The Triffid was located in zone 2, I knew the guy who bartended there quite well as he was good friends with Atomic Bomb. A lot of the staff their new me, they'd always offer to buy me drinks or give me lists of upcoming bands who make music out here in the zones, the people at The Triffid was the closest thing I had to a family before meeting the fabulous four. Although I hadn't been there in ages, I was due to go back and pay a visit.

"'Course, why?" I asked Party, to which he raised his eyebrow in response.

"Doesn't seem like your scene s'all." Party cleared up as he saw my annoyed look.

"I know most of the staff who work there." I replied, clearing Party's confusion. He was right after all, a crowded bar with drunken, loud killjoys? Definitely not my scene. However, people can surprise you.

"I think we're planning on heading out there tomorrow night for a few drinks, you'll come right?" Party Poison asked looking over to me.

"Yeah, it's about time I go back to see everyone." I accepted to which Party smiled.

"Shiny, we'll run our errands tomorrow and then head out to zone 2 by sunset." Party Poison explained the day schedule; I let him talk while adding in the occasional 'mhm' of agreement, as I slowly drifted off to sleep. When Party Poison stopped talking, I turned over so I was facing away from the redhead.

"Night tomato head." I said smirking.

"Goodnight you trashcan." Party fired back, I could hear the smug grin behind his words.

"Hey that's fuckin rude." I said kicking his leg harshly with my foot under the sheets.

"How did you know I liked it rough?" Party Poison said and I cringed.

"You're a disgusting human, goodnight." I spoke tiredly.

"Goodnight Sparks." Party hummed, turning over himself and preparing for a night of sleep. I fell asleep almost instantly, contempt Party and I were once again on good terms, I hated going to sleep angry with people, it gave me awful vibes.