Chapter 17 - The Light Behind Your Eyes

I woke up the next morning feeling not as bad as yesterday. I felt weak, but significantly more energised. I opened my eyes to see Party still sleeping, his arms wrapped tightly around my body.

He looked so peaceful when he slept. He looked so handsome and years younger.

I stayed in the same position for some time, watching Party sleep in the most un creepiest way possible. After some time, the redhead began to show signs of waking up.

I looked down to make it look as if I wasn't some weirdo who stared at people in their sleep. I recall seeing someone do it in a movie once before our world turned to shit- kinda' weird if you ask me.

When I looked back up Party had a tired smile on his face, staring down at me contempt.

"Mornin' sunshine." He tiredly slurred his words.

"Mornin." I whispered back, slumping into the pillow, feeling sort of drained. Party frowned at this, running his hands up and down my back to try to comfort me.

"Still feelin' sore?" He asked, sitting up to take a look at my wound. Now that the anaesthetic someone gave me yesterday had worn off, I felt each individual stitch in my flesh. At least I was blacked out when they gave me an injection, needles scared the shit outta' me.

I 'mm'd' to Party's question, trying my hardest to not show how bad I was hurting, I did after all got shot in the fucking arm not one day ago.

After lying in bed for what seemed like ages, quietly talking amongst each other, we both got up, Party being extra cautious and helping me with almost everything. I felt like a fragile old lady who needed someone to help them with their every move, ugh.

After getting dressed and grabbing the few belongings we brought with us yesterday, we stumbled into the main living area in the base. Now looking around, the base seemed like a small house. It was smaller then the diner I was used to, however still a promising set up, especially for a group of engineers.

Neon Burn and Crash Fire sat around a table looking through maps, seemingly planning something, most likely a raid into Battery City judging by the maps.

"Good to see you two finally decided to wake up." Crash Fire smirked as we stepped into the room.

I looked up at Party Poison who rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Give us a break mate, the chick just got shot not a day ago." Party defended us, gesturing to my shoulder.

"How's the ol' shoulder today tumbleweed?" Neon questioned, looking at my arm. Good thing the shirt I wore was black; otherwise it would have been covered in my excess blood.

Before I could answer Neon Burn's question, an unknown man with blonde hair walked straight over to me, and draped one of his arms lazily around my wounded shoulder. "Hey there babe." He spoke, which made me yelp out in pain due to the harsh pressure on my wound. The killjoy who had just made me wince in pain stood proudly in his spot. He had light blonde shoulder length locks and wore mainly black. I didn't like the vibe this motherfucker gave off.

Party ripped the killjoy off me instantly and throwing him literally into the nearby wall. Everything moved in slow motion, Crash Fire went to hold Party Poison back while Neon tried holding off the blonde killjoy.

"Don't you dare touch her you motherfucker." Party Poison spat at the blonde killjoy. I have never seen him so aggressive before, this side of the leader was frightening, not exactly someone you wanna' piss off.

"I'll touch whatever the hell I want you bastard." The other killjoy yelled at Party Poison. "Whatever." The blonde killjoy spat again, taking multiple steps back and putting his hands up in defeat, calming himself down from party's wrath.

 "Who would even want her anyway? Look at her fuckin' eyes! She's scary." The killjoy snarled at me.

I wasn't too affected by the taunts; I've heard similar slurs all my life. Sure, it was unnecessary but who cares? They're just fucken' words at the end of the day. Word's aint' gonna hurt you out here in the zones, the only thing that'll hurt you are the dracs and scarecrows. Party's jaw tensed, the leader seemed far more hurt by the words then I was.

"Says the mother fucken' Ritalin Rat! I know motor babies who would rather get ghosted then get with you." Party smirked, firing back at the guy.

"Oh go to fucking hell, Poison." The killjoy aggressively spat at Party Poison, quickly shaking off Neon's grip before leaving the room with out another word.

"Have I missed something?" I spoke up confused after a few long moments of suspense, looking between Crash Fire, Neon Burn and Party Poison. Party rolled his eyes in anger and stormed out into the midday desert heat. Even in his angered state, he was still such a sassy bitch.

"That's Venom Bite, him and Party don't have a great history together." Crash Fire explained to me while crossing his arms around his torso, looking out the door to make sure Party was out of earshot.

Oh.

I vaguely remembered last night Party mentioned Venom Bite to me, seeming angry with the killjoy, this all made sense now.

"Did I hear someone say he used to be a Ritalin Rat?" I asked confused as to why this group would let a Ritalin Rat in their group. Ritalin Rat's are groups of people who work for the Better Living Industries. They have human emotions like us; however work for money and the thrill of killing killjoys out here in the zones. It disgusts me to be honest.

"Venom used to be. He's changed though, I think him and Party both have tough times letting go of the past, and they're both real stubborn like that." Neon added, his face forming a thoughtful look.

I rose my eyebrow, deciding against pushing what Neon meant by Party held onto his past. If anything it was the opposite, I've never heard a word spoken to me about Party's past. It made my thoughts lead to what he would have been like before all this BL/I bullshit came into effect.

"Better go check on him." I explained to Neon and Crash gesturing outside before turning around and heading straight for the door.

I walked outside greeted with the humid desert air as per usual. I saw Party Poison loading my bike into the trans am. Feeling a rush of joy, I ran over to the redhead and excitedly came up to him.

"It's fixed." I spoke excitedly jumping up and down on the balls of my feet.

Party looked at me from the corner of his eyes, a smirk prying at his lips.

"Course it is sunshine, as soon as that bitch of a wound has fully heeled you're gonna' have to take me out for a spin." Party said while loading up the trans am and closing the door behind him.

Party Poison turned to face me, and I couldn't help the happiness that suddenly came over me. My bike was fixed and it felt as if a piece of me have been regained. I've gained the worst injury i've probably ever had out here in the zones, but not even that could bring me down right now. I was feelin' fuckem great that my bike was finally fixed. 

Without thinking I leaned into Party Poison, engulfing him in a hug. It hurt my shoulder a little but as I leant my head against his chest I didn't care cause' Party hugged me back with out hesitation, latching onto me.

"Sorry about back there. Don't you dare listen to people like him sunshine." Party mumbled into my hair, referring to Venom Bite. I got weird vibes from the blonde killjoy; I can see why Party didn't like him. The arrogance that radiated from Venom made my blood boil, and I barely knew the guy, but I already could deduce, he was a wanker.

"'M used to it." I mumbled lamely. It honestly didn't bother me at all; 'scary' was the least of the insults I've heard in my lifetime.

"Well that's fucked, 'cause someone as pretty lookin' as you shouldn't be used to it." Party pulled away, looking me dead in the eye while pushing a lock of my red hair out of my face. I looked down into the sand so Party wouldn't be able to see the blush spreading through my face.

"C'mon, let's get outta' here." Party said taking my hand in his, leading me back into the killjoy's base to no doubt say farewell and thank you to the killjoy's for helping us out in the past day.