Chapter 9 - Dr. Death Defying

When I awoke from my slumber this morning, I woke to the sound of Party Poison's annoying voice. Party's voice didn't usually annoy me- but when I was this tired and he was trying to wake me up, that's when the annoyance kicked in.

"Sparrrrrk. Sparkkkk. Spaaaaarrrrrkkk. Wake up." I heard over and over again.

I turned into the sheets, my face directly down into the material. It wasn't like me to sleep in; I was usually the person up and ready to go. Although today was a struggle for me, I was feeling significantly tired.

"C'mon Spark you and I got business to attend to." Party said trying to shake my body awake now.

"Fuck alright give me a minute." I grumbled sitting upright from the bed. Party was already dressed ready to go, the prick.

"We've gotta get moving sunshine, Ghoul's gonna' give us a lift to a top secret location, the rest of the group's gonna go stock up on gas belonging to BL/I. We know a place in zone 5." Party explained standing up from the bed looking down at me.

Before grumbling and mumbling out incoherent words, I finally sat up in the bed, rubbing my eyes in hopes of rubbing away the drowsiness I currently felt. 

"Rightio, let me get dressed and we'll get going." I grumbled not questioning the plan for today. While Party Poison left me alone to get dressed, I wondered what he meant by top-secret location, I'd have to tackle him on the matter before we embarked.

I slipped on my usual black shirt and leather jacket, placing my ray gun into the holster in my belt. I don't know how much longer I could live in these clothes- back at my base I had a few more changes of clothes I stole a while back. It's amazing what changing your clothes every now and then can do; it almost makes you feel like a normal human being again.

Ruffling up my hair, I walked into the main part of the diner. Party stood with Ghoul, waiting for me no doubt.

"Ah, so the beast has awoken." Fun Ghoul snickered. Not in the mood for his stupid jokes, especially about me, I hit him on the back of his head making Party Poison laugh now.

"Let's go." Party ushered us out of the diner like we were his annoying children, which in a sense, we were. With Fun Ghoul shoving me playfully out of his way, and me tripping him over as we walked, we made it out of the diner into the hot desert air.

We all climbed into the trusted trans am, Ghoul and Party occupied the front seats, while I sat in the back stretching my legs out in the back. I leant my head back starting to feel less tired, the heat from outside of the car keeping me somewhat awake.

We drove for what seemed like ages, the only sounds made were by Ghoul and Party's quiet chatter from the front. I stayed quiet as per usual until we eventually pulled up to this highly hidden site, far from the main road and hid well behind large sand dunes and barren land.

Ghoul bid Party and I goodbye for now, as soon as we exited the vehicle Ghoul made a sharp U turn, returning back to the route we had just taken to get to wherever we were.

"Gonna' tell me where we are?" I asked Party while we begun walking to the strange building not too far away from where we currently stood.

"Ever heard of Dr. Death Defying?" Party asked glancing at me. From Party's comment, my body stiffened, I literally stopped in my tracks.

Ah Dr. Death Defying, here's some background information about the bastard. Dr. Death Defying was the man with the plan, he assigned killjoy's missions, he sent back up when required, and he kept track of every killjoy registered within the ranks. He was the supposed leader of the outcasts, in my opinion though, he does a shitty fucking job at it.

"Yeah, I have." I answered Party bluntly, trying my best to hide the small anxiety annoying me inside.

Ever since the whole Atomic Bomb incident, I tried to stray as far away from Dr Death Defying as possible. Dr D. and I weren't on the best terms you see. He and Atomic Bomb, although we weren't registered within the killjoy ranks, were good allies. Whenever Atomic and I needed backup, Dr. D would always send help. Atomic radio waved updates in the zones of what was what, Atomic was extremely dear to Dr. D., which is why when Atomic got dragged into BL/I, Dr. D indirectly blamed me for my brother's capturing.

I went to the leader killjoy when I got badly wounded by the drac that shot me in the leg. When I explained the whole situation to the leader, he got me help, but made it very clear that he thought of me pathetic for not being able to help my brother. But honestly, what could I have done? Sure, I felt like shit everyday for leaving Atomic, but there was physically nothing I could have done. Anything that I could have done to help Atomic would have got both of our sorry asses captured.

Dr. D has also always wanted me in his ranks for a while. I was a good shot, I was fearless in combat, I could work alone, and when required, in a team. Yet, I would always refuse, which would of course anger Dr. D more and more. Due to this, shortly after Atomics' absence, Dr. Death Defying begun fading me out and ignore my pleas if I needed extra back up.

It's like as if Party sensed my discomfort, he kept glancing at me while we walked, I continued to keep my poker face, I'm sure Party Poison will figure out soon why I'm acting so odd about Dr. D.

We walked into the building and down a few corridors, the place looked small from the outside, on the inside it was far bigger. There was killjoy's flooding the place, some were trading carbons for supplies, and others were combat training, while others just stood comfortably chatting to one another.

Party was a big shot here, more then once he got stopped or recognised by a few killjoys in this base, it was like he was some hero. I got some weird looks and comments thrown in my direction.

"Who's she?

"Why's she with Party?

Party and I ignored the questions, eventually walking up to an official looking door. Party banged on the wood, and when he heard the words "Come in." He opened the door, allowing me to step inside as well.

"Ah Party Poison! So good to see you and- oh." Dr. D stopped mid sentence, his gaze directing at me. I almost scoff at how immature the gesture was.

"Suicide Spark." Dr Death Defying nodded curtly at me, however I instantly noticed his jaw tense. Oh boy.