Chapter 22: Birthdays (Part 1)

~a month later~
Luna POV
I woke up with my blankets pulled up to my neck. I turned over onto my back and stretched. Then I looked at the calendar next to my bed. Today was my 6th birthday. I smiled a little and sat up. It was raining outside, so it was kinda dark inside.

I had been living with Stein for about a month now. I've gotten pretty used to the new routine, not that it's much different than the old routine. The only difference is that there's no academy, or Papa, or Kiddo. It did get pretty lonely, but since Stein had to leave the academy too, we've spent more time together, so it's still been fun.

I walked downstairs, still in my pajamas. I walked to Stein's office, where he was sitting on his rolling chair at his computer. I stood against the wall peering in through the doorway. He rolled over to the other side of the room to get something, then rolled back, almost falling off his chair. I giggled a little at this. He stopped typing and picked his head up, still facing the computer.

"Lu, is that you?" he asked. I could tell he was smiling, even with his back turned. I quietly giggled again. He stood up and faced the doorway. I turned around and ran into his arms. I laughed more as he picked me up and spun me around. He sat me down on his chair.

"Happy birthday Lu." He said as he handed me a flat rectangular box. When I opened the box, I couldn't believe what I saw. Inside the box was a coat just like Stein's, but much smaller. I smiled a huge grateful smile as I put it on. It fit perfectly!

"Thank you Stein! I love it!" I said as I hugged him tight. He laughed as he hugged me back.
"Hey, didn't Kiddo give you something too?" I gasped as I slid off the chair and rushed to my room. I reached into my dresser and grabbed the box, then rushed back to Stein who was in his chair. He pulled me onto his lap so I was facing him. I slowly untied the white ribbon and opened the box. Under the tissue paper laid the most beautiful locket I had ever seen. It was shaped like Papa's mask. When I opened the locket, I teared up at the picture.

It was a tiny version of the picture I had left at home.
"Oh Kiddo-kun........" I whispered. Stein looked at the picture inside and smiled. Then he pulled my hair over my shoulder and put the necklace around my neck. The locket fell over my heart. He just smiled and looked at the necklace sitting under my brooch. Then a tear fell onto the brooch. I think Stein noticed, because he picked up my chin and looked at my face, which had tears flowing out of them.

"Hey now. It's your birthday, you shouldn't be sad..." He said softly, smiling.
"I know... It's just... I-I miss them, so much...!" I said between sobs.
"I know, and I miss them too. But we will see them again" He said back. Then he kissed my forehead and pulled me close. I wrapped my arms around him and just hugged him tight.

Then I thought about Kid. I wondered how he was doing on his birthday........