ANNABETH XL

Annabeth was trying to ignore the fact that her dead boyfriend's body was lying next to her. But she couldn't. She just kept crying and trying to pull herself together.

The gods and demigods had gathered in the throne room, and discussion had begun immediately. The demigods were off to the side, almost behind Zeus's throne, to allow the discussion to be held without him making his choice out of guilt. It had to be genuine, or it wasn't worth anything. Zeus didn't seem to realize that they were hiding. And if he noticed the somber faces of the gods and goddesses around him, he didn't say anything.

Each god, minor or major, said their piece. Unanimously, it seemed that the group agreed with Percy; Zeus focused too much on his own thoughts, and didn't allow the input of others. Finally, after each had spoken, Zeus stood.

"I-I'm not sure where to begin. I suppose I was too caught up in myself to realize what I had done. For that, I am truly sorry. I formally step down, and propose we remove the idea of a leader altogether. Each council will be led by rotation, with each holding a council in turn. We sill hold votes, and debates, and we will decide what is best for the whole. But if you wish to still have a leader, I propose that it not be me."

"I quite like the idea of a democracy," mused Poseidon. He rubbed his eyes roughly. "I vote for that option. Who else is with me?"

The sound of every god saying aye nearly deafened the demigods. Zeus nodded, content. "Then so it shall be. I no longer lead you. We lead each other."

"There is one final bit of business, brother," said Hades, rising from his throne. He strode to where the demigods were gathered, and picked up the lifeless body in the center. He stood, cradling the hero, and carried him into the former king's line of sight. "It would seem that, after the events of the past few weeks, Perseus Jackson has passed. This was largely due to the injuries inflicted by your first lightning bolt, in combination with those received from Khione and Morpheus. I move, and know it is seconded by Poseidon, that we allow this young man a second chance at this life. Not the chance of rebirth, but the chance to live again."

The room was silent for a moment. Then, "Do you honestly think my answer would be no?"

Acollective sigh ran through the room, and the hearts of the demigods lifted.The group filed to the center of the room, where Hades had laid Percy's body,and looked to the god of the Underworld. He stood, arms out to his side, andbegan to chant in Greek. He finished, and looked to the group assembled beforehim. "He shall wake momentarily, but fall back asleep moments later. It is veryeasy to travel to the Underworld, but the trip back is exhausting, even for asoul of his power. Someone will want to be with him at all times; when hefinally wakes, he will be fairly confused." At this, he looked down at the bodybefore him. Suddenly, Percy gasped in a breath, opened his eyes, and turned toAnnabeth. "Told you it would work."

I told you it wasn't over. And it still isn't. It's about to get angsty!

All my love, 

T