ANNABETH XII

Annabeth wanted to sit down and cry.

            She had just watched her boyfriend drown, the one method of death she hadn’t anticipated. And it was evident from the look of fear on his face that he hadn’t either. She had no idea how to help him, and apparently, if she didn’t save him and Jason, humanity was doomed.

            She glared at the point where the mist had been, silently praying it would reappear and show her Seaweed Brain alive and well. But she had no idea if he was even alive. She turned to Nico. “Can you tell if he’s…?” She couldn’t bear to finish the sentence, but he understood.

            "I wish I could say for sure. But I haven’t been able to sense his, or Jason’s, life forces since they were taken. But I think he’s fine. It’d take more than some water to beat him.”

            “I hope you’re right.” Annabeth turned to Leo, and asked, “How long until we get to the castle.”

            “Well, actually, we’re about five minutes away. I can land here, and we can make the way on foot. I figure, they may already know we’re coming, but we might as well try not to broadcast our location that much.”

            “A plan worthy of Athena,” answered Annabeth, walking toward the deck. Time to save her boyfriend. Again.