Ch.3 Drunk (J)

Unedited

Chapter 3. Drunk 

"Coco, get up." A small body jumped on Jericho's thighs, as the man slept.

Jericho groaned, rubbing a hand down his face, he peeked at the young boy. "Lennox, didn't your mother tell you to never wake a sleeping tiger?"

Lennox giggled, his long brown curls resembling those of his mother's. "You're not a tiger."

Jericho sat up, with the boy still on his lower thighs. "Are you sure?"

Lennox, nodded his head, a big grin on his face. Jericho lunged forward, while making a growling sound that mirrored a tiger and tickled the boy.

A knock on his bedroom door, made Jericho put a stop to playful behavior. "Come in."

With an expensive dress, leather flats and a floppy hat on her head, Jericho's sister walked into his bedroom a tight smile on her face. "Hey Coco."

Jericho playfully threw Lennox onto the other side of his bed, before standing up to greet his sister.

"Alyssa." He kissed her cheek. "How are you?"

"We're doing good." Alyssa sat down on the king sized bed, as Jericho pulled on a shirt. "Lenny go get mommy a water please."

The young boy dashed out of the room, following the orders of his mother. Alyssa pulled a few magazines and newspapers out of her bag, handing them to her brother.

"What's this?" Jericho asked, glancing at the headlines and the cover pictures.

"The Smith's are having Tori's case retried."

Jericho felt his heart clench, his eyes flying over all the headlines that were similar.

Murder case of Tori Smith to be renewed ...

Reopening the case of Jericho Maverick's deceased girlfriend ...

Jericho sat on the edge of his bed, gripping the last newspaper in his hand. The words replayed in his head and he couldn't bare to look at another one. He wasn't going to cry or even get emotional, that wasn't him.

Alyssa hugged her older brother, placing a chaste kiss on his cheek. A silence between the siblings, before the ball of energy known as Lennox walked back into the room. "Here, mama."

The boy with the caramel skin glanced at his emotionless uncle, who had been happy just moments ago. "What's wrong Coco?"

Jericho glanced at his nephew and forcing a smile, he said. "I heard you are going trick or treating tonight without me."

Lennox believed Jericho without a second thought, because his favorite uncle never lied to him. "Do you want to come?"

"I can't." Jericho replied, while standing up to throw the newspapers away. "I've got to work, but if you want you can save me some candy for Sunday dinner."

Lennox climbed on his mother's lap, wrapping his small arms around her neck. "Maybe."

"Maybe?" Jericho chuckled, with his eyebrows raised as he glanced at the boy.

"Mhmm." Lennox nodded, his green eyes bright as he hid his grin in his mother's neck.

"Well then, I'll just have to bring my own candy." Jericho smiled.

..

Jericho let the cold liquid slip down his throat, warming his chest and the taste of the vodka and orange juice still fresh on his tongue. He watched the dancing guest enjoy themselves as the party was in full swing. The up beat music was loud and the party was similar to high school costume party. The classic red cups, slutty costumes, cheap alcohol, grinding bodies and random guest fucking upstairs.