Ch.22 Romp In The Hay (UNEDITED)

If someone said three years from now

You'd be long gone

I'd stand up and punch them out

Cause they're all wrong

DEDICATION TO @mandynkenneth FOR ANSWERING ALL THE QUESTIONS IN THE LAST CHAPTER!!!! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!! ;D

Sixth week of therapy ...

"I understand you haven't talked to Cooper since the night of Tori's death, and I know you have the right to feel the way you do towards him, but I also think that's where Tori's death becomes a problem for you after so many years." Dr. Sorenson smiled at Jericho, watching his reaction closely. "When you first described your problems you explained how you feel guilty in your own home, how you think of Tori's death and all you feel is guilt. I think you misinterpreted that guilty feeling. Could I be right?"

Jericho raised an eyebrow, already unconvinced of this upcoming theory from the doctor. "In what way?"

"We often need closure to overcome trauma, for us to be able to move on. Tori's death occurred in the loft you shared, but you had no control of that. Cooper committed the crime and you also had no control over that, but in your mind you see it otherwise. From your point of view you see your girlfriend being murdered by your brother in your apartment and it's your fault. Am I correct? Do you see her death as your fault?"

Jericho was silent for a few seconds, before he shrugged carelessly. "I should have stayed home that night and nothing would have happened to her."

Dr. Sorenson smiled, as he pushed up his glasses. "That's where the guilt comes into play. You feel guilty because you left and she got murdered, however Jericho it's not your fault and that's very clear to me. Cooper stole the drugs and intended to kill her so it wasn't just a thought in passing. For reasons unknown to us he choose to do what he did, and poising a loved one isn't a crime of passion. What Cooper did was premeditated and there is no way you could have known of his plans, so the guilt you feel is misplaced."

Jericho laughed humorlessly, folding his hands behind his head. "You make it sound so easy."

"It's not easy, I know that." Dr. Sorenson said, afterwards taking two big gulps of his coffee. "The guilt you feel will always remain until you come to terms with the fact that Tori's death was not your fault. And the next thing I'm going to suggest will seem impossible for you but if you really want to rid of the guilt then you'll have to consider. You need closure to overcome Tori's death and the only person that can give you that closure is serving a life sentence in jail."

Jericho laughed, shaking his head as if the suggestion were complete bullshit.

"Cooper holds all the answers and if he can sit down with you and explain to you why he did it, I believe you won't feel guilty like you do now. By avoiding him you are allowing him to take the easy way out. He sits in his cell and doesn't have to deal with all the stress, all the inner turmoil you deal with on a daily basis. You've been diagnosed with depression and PTSD, which are serious conditions. You were once suicidal, Jericho.  Do you think Cooper deals with stuff like that? You're giving him the easy way out. You should consider talking to him for the sake of your health."

The room was silent for minutes, before Jericho slowly nodded his head. Biting his lip, he glanced at the doctor. " ... I'll talk to my brother."

"It's your decision what you do with the information I give you. Talking to Cooper is my suggestion, but no one is forcing you here." Dr. Sorenson clarified after seeing  the miserable expression on Jericho's face.

"I know you just want to help and I do truly appreciate it."

"Of course," The doctor agreed, a permanent smile on his chiseled face. "I also have a theory about your situation with Daisy. Are you ready?"

Jericho didn't seem to curious or overexcited. "There is no theory. I really am at fault when it comes to Daisy. Everyone was right to want us apart. Every time I look at her now I feel guilty and that's because I hurt her when I shouldn't have approached her in the first place."

"I don't see it that way." Dr. Sorenson began. "I think the guilt you feel when with Daisy is because you like her a lot more than a 'romp in the hay'.   The guilt we speak of now results from the 'unfinished business' you have with Tori. You need that closure to pursue anything with any woman. I think the case with Daisy is that she's the first woman after Tori to make her way into your heart and possibly become something serious. Do you understand what I mean?"

"You're implying that the guilt stems from my positive feeling towards Daisy." Jericho thought over the new information, letting it sink in before he grinned. "So in reality the guilty feeling is there because I'm romantically moving on?"

"In other words, yes." The older man laughed, taking another sip of his coffee. "But you're only able to move so far without the closure you need. You'll always feel guilty with any woman if you don't properly overcome Tori's death. Believe it or not, you're brother will be the biggest help on your road to recovery.

"If that's what it takes, than I'm willing to talk to him." Jericho twisted the ring on his thumb, while nodding his head. "Can I go call to set up a visiting appointment?"

Dr. Sorenson's lips lifted, as he waved his hand in the air. "Were done for today, but I'll see you tonight at the group session."

Jericho gave a curt nod, before grabbing his room key off the coffee table and walking out of the room. Jericho was happy, he was almost excited with the new information he received. He didn't have to deal with a guilty conscious for the rest of his life or be completely miserable. Yet it wasn't completely that easy, he did have to work to achieve happiness. Talking to Cooper was a big deal for Jericho and he wasn't sure if he could just do it that easily.

The billionaire had also lied about calling his brother, at least for now, because he just wasn't ready yet for that big confrontation. Instead Jericho hurried off to his room, where he had planned to call Daisy to set up a lunch date in the near future, but the universe had other plans.

Jericho sat on his bed, his phone in his hand when suddenly there was a loud knock at the door. Opening it, Jericho was surprised to see a familiar face from the reception. A young girl, probably in her early twenties, with fiery red hair and bright green eyes. "Mr. Maverick, there is an important call for you at the front desk."

Totally caught off guard Jericho didn't know how to react. He simply followed the girl to the front desk where he picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"It's Alec." The familiar voice of his brother-in-law drifted through the phone. "Sorry to call you like this Jericho, but I heard some information that I think you need to know about."

"If it's work related Kiana can manage." Jericho said, glancing at the cheap watch on his wrist.

"It's Cooper." Silence between both men. "He changed his plea to not guilty."

Jericho's heart was racing and he could feel sweat dot his forehead. "W-what do you want me to say? I ..."

"It's not that he changed his statement, but word got around the office that his lawyer is now waiting for a warrant to be signed by judge Taylor and somehow it involves that girl you were seeing. Daisy, right? Judge Taylor is back in the office on Monday and whatever that warrant authorizes won't be good for the girl. It's all over the media that her mother just passed away, she doesn't need your brothers bullshit on her case."

Jericho was speechless and not in the good way.

______

Let me know what you think? Next chapter is Daisy's!!

What role does Daisy play in all this now?

What drives a man to murder his brothers girlfriend?

There is a chance for Daisy and Jericho, according to Dr. Sorenson.

Daisy's mother passed away :/

Votes: 100 & Comments: 40
VOTE, COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE NEW COVER!!!