Ch.31 Collateral Damage (UNEDITED)

I'll stand by you, won't let nobody hurt you,

I'll stand by you, baby even to your darkest hour,

And I'll never desert you, I'll stand by you, 

Jericho tapped his long fingers against the cool steering wheel, the radio playing in the background, cutting off his train of thoughts. His silver eyes wandered out the window, flitting over the small parking lot, before landing on the entrance of the crematorium. It had nearly been twenty minutes already, and Jericho wondered if he should go in and see if there was a problem. Daisy had said it would only take a few minutes, afterwards stepping out of his car. A limp followed her all the way until she disappeared behind the wooden doors of the small business. Jericho tried not to worry, plus she had said this was something she could do alone. Jericho was almost curious about the whole process of having a loved ones urn in your home. Everyone in his family had been buried in a private but local graveyard. But now with Daisy becoming his family, he considered Susan, Daisy's mother a part of his family as well. He'd gladly keep her mothers urn in the loft, or soon their house.

Jericho was seconds away from getting out the car, when Daisy made her way across the parking lot, her mother's urn tucked gently under her arm. Despite the grief stricken look on her face and red rimmed eyes hiding behind her glasses, Daisy was truly beautiful. She had a beauty to her that wasn't just her looks. Jericho could foremost feel himself falling in love with her inner beauty, her compassion, her trust, her nicely hidden personality that only came out when you got to know her. He didn't care if they were moving fast and passing milestones that he hadn't predicted but he could feel it in his heart, that if worse came to light and this didn't work out between them, he wouldn't find love again.

"How'd it go?" Jericho questioned, as soon as Daisy was buckled in, her mothers urn in the backseat.

"As good as can be I guess. Thank you for taking me." Daisy pushed her glasses further up the defined bridge of her nose, before glancing at Jericho and leaning over to take his hand in hers. The contrast between their hands was comical. The shades of their skin, the texture and size. Where Jericho had an olive complexion, Daisy was very fair. Where he was rough, she was soft and where his hands were large hers were small.

"Of course." Jericho gave her hand a gentle squeeze, leaning over the console to peck her lips. "Next stop the clinic. Are you sure this is what you want to do? Either way, whatever the outcome if you decide to get tested, we'll get through this. I'll support you and I want you to know I have your back."

Daisy smiled as she cupped his jaw, his short beard brushing against her palm. "Are you perfect or are we in the honey moon faze? I feel like this now, is too good to be true. I feel like I should be scared, but ... I'm not."

Jericho gave out a small laugh. "I'm scared too, but if this is what we want we shouldn't hold back. You know what I mean. It's not easy to find love that makes you feel loved. Ugh, I can't explain it well."

Daisy laughed as well, the biggest smile on her face she glanced back at her mothers urn. "Mom, did you hear? He loves me ... and I love him."

Now they both laughed. "Yes Daisy, I love you."

.

"You'll feel a small pinch. I'll take the sample, slap a band-aid on and then we're done." The nurse explained dryly, his green eyes darting from Daisy to Jericho.

"OK, I'm ready." Daisy puffed air out of her cheeks slowly, her hand tightening in Jericho's grip. "When will I get the test results back? This is kind of a big deal, you know."

The nurse started the procedure, fingers making quick work. "It'll be around next week. One of the doctors will give you a call with the results. If you do have HCMS there is treatment you can get to slow down the disease until there is a hopefully definitive cure.

"Thanks for your help." Jericho replied.

It hurt in his heart to know that Daisy's mind was plagued with such a scary thought. Not knowing if your life expectancy could be cut down in half. Even though he knew they were moving fast, he felt compelled to stay by her side. She didn't deserve this amount of tragedy. No one did.

"We always hope the test comes back negative. Try not to worry too much. Just wait until you get the call next week." The nurse advised, guiding the couple out of the treatment room.

"We're optimistic. T-thanks again." Daisy spoke, while throwing on her coat.

I have to be cause if not ...

The two were getting in the car when the sound of Daisy's phone filled the air. Daisy didn't hesitate to answer, the phone pressed to her ear as she buckled in once again for the early morning.

Jericho could only watch a range of emotions cross Daisy's face. He started the car, but leaned over to give Daisy's thigh a comforting squeeze. He maneuvered the car onto the road, trying to convey his support as he glanced every few seconds in her direction.

Jericho could only make out a few words from the other end - insurance, money, fire. It was enough to know that it was the insurance calling about the restaurant. Most likely about the payout. Jericho's thoughts were confirmed when his girlfriend put her phone down, a sad smile on her diamond shaped face.

„That was the insurance company. They are going to reimburse me for the loss due to the fire and smoke damages. The payout is roughly a million." Daisy laughed, but there was no humor behind it.

„That's good, no?" Jericho was a little confused. Daisy didn't look too happy. That was a lot of money. Daisy could build a new life for herself with that and still live comfortably.

„What are you doing?"

Daisy chuckled again. „Trying to get a hold of Lillian. She'll be over the moon to hear about the amount of the payout."

Jericho frowned. „Daisy, that money is yours. If any of it were Lillian's they would have contacted her. I don't think telling her is a good idea right now."

Daisy had a look of consideration on her face. „It's not like I can reach her anyway. Her phone has been disabled."

After that the car was filled with silence, but it was a good silence. Both of them letting the rough morning sink in as they made their way to the police station.

...

What do you guys think? I'll be honest I was a little disappointed with the response I got on the last chapter. Please let me know what you guys think. I feel kind of lost.

Ps there will be 37 chapters in total.

Thanks for the support loves ❤️❤️